• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color and black appears faded when Illustrator files are saved to PDF. Help asap Plz

Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When i save my  Illustrator files as PDF and open it in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC Version 2020, the colors are faded. how can i change that? I am using the latest versionof Illustrator as well. Also will it print like that? Either way i want it to be fixed before i can share artwork with clients.

see pics attached for how it looks in Illustrator and then how it looks when saved as a pdf

TOPICS
Import and export , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Be aware that a printing ink black will never be as dark as an RGB black or a rich black (100% K and various percentages of CMY). So the "faded" black is actually correctly previewed in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What colour mode is your document?

What is the composition of the black you are using?

What options are set under Preferences > Appearance of Black?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The artwork is for print. Color mode is CMYK so at the top of the doc it reads CMYK/GPU Preview....i attached a screenshot of the appearance of Black under Preferences. Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 11.37.55 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-01-26 at 11.39.38 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-01-26 at 11.41.59 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the second image is a screendump from the PDF, then it looks as expected, checking with Photoshop shows an RGB black. 

You can check the black in Acrobat (as well as Illustrator) in the separations preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the screen shot is the preferences for Illustrator. Its an Illustratot document and Photoshop is not involved at all. How do i check black in Acrobat. i actually need assistance with how to fix the matter if someone knows how to

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was talking about your screenshot: Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 10.19.51 AM

In Acrobat go to View > Tools > Print Production > Open and select Output Preview to check the black.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 2.49.23 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not seeing  "Print Production > Open and select Output Preview " as an option...even checked under Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add the shortcut from the Tools option (next to Home)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what should it be? ..can you please be specific and tell me what i should be looking for and what should be in place to resolve the issue? I am not an expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be aware that a printing ink black will never be as dark as an RGB black or a rich black (100% K and various percentages of CMY). So the "faded" black is actually correctly previewed in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmmm...ok thnks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so even though it looks like that on display, it wont print like that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is printed on a printing press, it is printed as 100% black (which is never as dark as an RGB black).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines