Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color difference between CPU/GPU previews

Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a big color problem between CPU/GPU previews.
In GPU preview, the colors become dull, bland. I didn't have this issue before the latest updates when switching between the two.
I tried to reinstall an older version, but the problem persists.
I am having the problem on both indesign and illustrator.
Do you have a solution ?

Capture d’écran 2022-11-04 à 17.31.31 copie.jpg

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Nov 05, 2022 Nov 05, 2022

So, I confirm that with a downgrade on MacOS Monterey, I no longer have any color difference problems when switching between CPU / GPU.

An update for Ventura will be welcome very soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Hi Jeff,

Sorry for the trouble! This issue has been fixed in the Ventura update, v13.1. Many users have reported that this update has resolved the color difference between CPU/GPU previews on the internal MacBook display.

I suggest that you update your Ventura to the latest version and see if it resolves the issue for you as well.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Hi @Mouchet0D4C @Dmitrymoi,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing the details. We have investigated the issue, and it has been found reproducible on our end on Apple Silicon Mac running on macOS Ventura only. This is acknowledged and will be worked on by developers in future updates.

Currently, workarounds to this are to use CPU preview or run the app using rosetta or open as Intel or as @Mouchet0D4C suggested rolling back to macOS Monterey will work.

Anshul_Saini_1-1668031439359.png

Please check this UserVoice and upvote

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Mouchet0D4C,

Sorry to hear about this experience. Would you mind trying the suggestions shared in this community post (https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/illustrator-25-2-1-gpu-cpu-preview-change-the...) and checking if it helps?

If the issue persists, kindly share some more information, like the exact version of the OS and Illustrator installed on your computer, the system configuration (CPU/GPU/Monitor), the Color Settings used, and whether Illustrator also behaves this way with other files.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2022 Nov 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been researching the forum since, and read that this is from the latest update on macOs Ventura.
Indeed, it is since this update that I encounter the problem.

I've never had this issue before, even when switching between the two CPU/GPU previews
I will reinstall macOS Monterey to try.

Here is my setup :

illustrator 26.5.1

indesign 18.0

photoshop 24.0.0

MacOS Ventura

CPU/GPU : Apple M1 Pro

Monitor : Retina screen XDR + Dell U2723QE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2022 Nov 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I confirm that with a downgrade on MacOS Monterey, I no longer have any color difference problems when switching between CPU / GPU.

An update for Ventura will be welcome very soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you just got lucky. I'm having the same issue but am and have always been on Monterey. I use an M1 max MacBook with an external monitor. The saturation issue only occurs on the external monitor. If you drag InDesign from the external back to the laptop screen it will stay desaturated until you resize the window and then gain its proper saturation back. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I haven't downgraded to Monterey, but the other solutions I found on the forum didn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Mouchet0D4C @Dmitrymoi,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing the details. We have investigated the issue, and it has been found reproducible on our end on Apple Silicon Mac running on macOS Ventura only. This is acknowledged and will be worked on by developers in future updates.

Currently, workarounds to this are to use CPU preview or run the app using rosetta or open as Intel or as @Mouchet0D4C suggested rolling back to macOS Monterey will work.

Anshul_Saini_1-1668031439359.png

Please check this UserVoice and upvote it: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/45876907-macos-...

By doing this, you'll get updates on the issue and help prioritize.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be the priority without having voted!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem is still not resolved in illustrator 27.0.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Udaanjargal27177352drxb @清敏1001,

We have already started the investigation. We are also checking with Apple, as the app is working fine on macOS Monterey & Ventura on intel Mac machines. Also, the app is working fine with macOS Monterey on Apple silicon only macOS Ventura is affected by this issue on Apple Silicon.

For now, please use the workaround as suggested above and stay tuned for updates.

We appreciate your patience.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, uh, when is Adobe fixing their PUBLISHING SOFTWARE so that I can trust the colours I see without having to use the slow, clunky CPU view? This kind of bug should never leave Adobe's alpha testers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the problem solved in Illustrator 27.1 ?? @Anshul_Saini 

If not, when will it be solved? for every designer who works with illustrator and (same problem on) InDesign, the color is an essential part, we NEED a fix for this 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed 27.1 and no, the problem remains.
Maybe we have to pay extra $$ for accurate colors now even if they're not Pantone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I have the same problem, but I had this problem with a previous version of macOS. Now MacOS Ventura 13.0.1 and Illustrator version 27.0.1.

Please help.
Thank you
M.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have exactly the same settings.

MacOS Ventura 13.0.1 and Illustrator version 27.0.1. MacBook Pro 2021 M1 Pro chip.

This should never have been released if it has such basic problems as colour accuracy, How can Adobe keep taking money monthly when basic requirements aren't even up to scratch. This needs an update immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @wlym @pol_mante @Allan Deas @Zeli24,

Thanks for reaching out. I am afraid there hasn't been any update on the issue. We are still checking with Apple, as the app works fine with macOS Monterey on Apple silicon machines. Only the macOS Ventura is affected by this issue on Apple Silicon machines.

For now, try the above-suggested workaround and upvote the UserVoice for further updates. We appreciate your patience.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not accurate. I have designer friends who have this problem with Adobe Illustrator on Intel macs running Monterey. You appreciate my patience? Adobe doesn't have my patience, you have my monthly $$$ for what is supposed to be professional design software that I cannot trust to show me accurate colour. If Adobe didn't have a monopoly on design software, it wouldn't be able to be this lethargically incompetent and stay in business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm (and I've already pointed this out in this same form weeks ago) I'm a designer having this same issue using an M1 chip running Monterey. We use adobe because they are the only viable choice in the industry. Not because we want to. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2023 Apr 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not true. I just updated from Monterey to Ventura in the hopes that it would fix this very issue. Like mentioned above, it only happens on my external monitor. But the effect is exactly the same on Monterey as well as Ventura. And it is a big problem. Performance on CPU is unworkable, so using that is not an option. The colour difference is so stark that it makes any people in images go from looking perfectly healthy to sick. 

Attached are screenshots of this happening on an external display on Monterey. Note also some weird things going on with the anti-aliasing, which seems more jagged on CPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dissapointing to see the latest update today has still not resolved this colour issue.

It's becoming a joke. I'm working on a brand new computer I bought this year and the latest operating system.

Adobe! This should not be happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated OS Ventura to the latest release 13.1 today and this seems to have resolved the colour issue in illustrator. Atleast on M1 Pro chip, MacBook Pro 2021. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just updated to the latest Mac OS (Ventura 13.1) and the problem seems to be fixed. There is no longer a difference between CPU/GPU previews in Illustrator and Indesign. Hallelujah!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have the same problem after update on MacOS 13.1. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 26, 2022 Dec 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming this, @Emmanuel van der Sloot @Allan Deas. I am also unable to replicate the issue after upgrading to macOS Ventura 13.1 on my Macbook Pro M1 Max.

@Zeli24 Would you mind confirming which Mac machine you are using? Also, are you seeing this behavior on a Macbook inbuilt screen or external monitor(s)?

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines