Exit

Color issue exporting from Illustrator 22 on Monterey

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all - hoping you can help me solve this - 

Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 4.56.09 PM.png

Above is red in illustrator. The only way I can replicate this red is to copy and paste directly into keynote or take screenshots.

Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 4.57.37 PM.png

This is red in all export file types - PNG, TIF, PDF, JPEG

color codes:

HEX d83f39

RGB 216, 63, 57

CMYK 1, 97, 90, 0

Doc color is set to RGB, color assigned adobe RGB. Laptop display is set to adobe RGB. Have tried making new docs, copying and pasting, every way to export, tried converting to CMYK. Please help!

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

You won't see it when you export PNG, no. As I mentioned, PNG is widely used in the web and it's usually assumed any graphic is sRGB to specification, so Illustrator does not include a profile. In Keynote, this file will be assumed to be sRGB and your colour will be off.

If you want to embed your Adobe RGB, use JPG or TIF. You will then see a checkbox to include the profile.

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 10.27.28 AM.png

Here's a smaple keynote. First graphic is the swatch copied and pasted. The second one is a "Exported as" JPG with embedd

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably won't be able to get this red with CMYK. It's too bright.

It should work in RGB. Since your arew working with AdobeRGB, it might be an issue with conversion into sRGB. How is your color manageewmnt set up?

In which application do you open the exported images?  Is it set up the same way in color management?

How do you handle color when exporting the image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, your laptop should not be set to Adobe RGB. It needs to be set to its own ICC profile as that is what defines to the Color Management workflow what colors your laptop can actually display.

Second, if your Illustrator file is indeed assigned to Adobe RGB (and is an RGB-based file), then when you export, you MUST embed the ICC profile, otherwise Keynote (or any other program) will assign its default or assume sRGB. Embedding is an option when exporting to JPG and TIF, but not PNG (Illustrator, currently, assumes PNG is always sRGB).

Based on what you are doing, I would have chosen sRGB anyway, as it's more universal, especially if you are hooking up a projector, creating for web, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, it's the display that is set to Adobe RGB - I misinterpreted that part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brad and Monika - replying to both together. I've never ran into this before, thanks for your help.... I'm using the color as part of a graphic for print, web and general digital (keynote, social, etc - not just projecting), which is why I went with Adobe RGB -  so is sRGB still the best choice for laptop display color? I have tried changing all color settings [laptop, color profile and doc color] to display P3, sRGB 2.1 and Adobe RGB was my last resort] all exports look the same whether I view them in mac preview, acrobat, keynote, email attachment, any program I've tried. Except copy and pasting directly into keynote. The closest and best is changing all to global Display P3, but its still not matching.

This is the color (background and color picker) I started with, like and want, in keynote, which keeps defaulting to Display P3 (even when i try to change it)...

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 8.11.13 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-11-16 at 8.11.24 AM.png

Here's my current color settings as is in illustrator:

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 8.15.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 8.15.36 AM.png

 Lastly, when i go to export, i see nothing that talks about color settings - 

 

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 8.22.22 AM.png

 

If you know what exactly i should change all settings to in order to get a color match globally, that would be great. thanks!

 

â€ƒ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your color settings in Illustrator the RGB should never be your monitor profile. There Adobe RGB would be appropriate.

Also: you want to turn on both the color management policies and probably read about what color maangement is good for and what it does. It works even when you think you have turned it off.

But Adobe RGB probably won't be a good idea to put on a website as the majority of monitors out there cannot display the wide color range. They aren't calibrated anyway, the browser doesn't support color management and/or is set up in the wrong way and most people actually don't care a lot if what they see is the color you intended.

When exporting a graphic for the web, use Save for web, have the artwork converted to sRGB and embed the color profile for those settings in which it can be used.

You want to focus on what is possible: the presentation and stuff you get printed.

This is the very basic stuff: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/color-management.html

There is much much more. It's been there for 20 years now and it won't go away. You have to learn it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika - Thanks for the link - I have read that article. As I said, I haven't ran into this before. Your response doesn't have much of a solution in it but I appreciate reaching out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing is that you have to set up your color management correctly.

And you have to set up your profiles & workflow correctly.

You said that the color changes. How do you measure color after exporting the files? The apps in which you open the images might also be set up wrong or not able to do color management at all.

And don't hope for that bright color in CMYK. It won't happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You won't see it when you export PNG, no. As I mentioned, PNG is widely used in the web and it's usually assumed any graphic is sRGB to specification, so Illustrator does not include a profile. In Keynote, this file will be assumed to be sRGB and your colour will be off.

If you want to embed your Adobe RGB, use JPG or TIF. You will then see a checkbox to include the profile.

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 10.27.28 AM.png

Here's a smaple keynote. First graphic is the swatch copied and pasted. The second one is a "Exported as" JPG with embedded Adobe RGB profile. Last is the same swatch, assigned to Adobe RGB but Exported to JPG without embedding the profile (PNG would be the same)

keynote.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yayyyy! Thank you Brad! Really appreciate the clarity and insight. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did exactly that, still don't have the same render between C&P & Assigned & Export. My Jpegs look dull no matter what compare to Ai working space. Im on mackbook pro M1 max.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @Arthur Design Overlay,

Sorry to hear about this experience and for the late response. Would you mind trying to recalibrate your monitor(s) for sRGB, restart your computer, and check if it helps?

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines