• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colors Muted & Dull in Illustrator 2023 (version 27.1.1)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

Since updating my illustrator to version 27.0.1 my colors have been muted/dull and even after uninstalling Illustrator, and reinstalling with the updated version 27.1.1. I can open old files and the colors are still vibrant but when creating anything new the colors are dull. I have tried to change my color settings in illustrator itself but the colors are either duller or overly saturated. I even tried to use Adobe Bridge to control the colors by choosing monitor color but that did nothing to change to muted colors. I am not sure if this is just an illustrator bug or if I am doing something to cause my colors to be so off but I need my colors to go back to normal and to not be dull or over saturated. You can see in the screenshot what the blue should look like but when the rectangle shape is filled with that blue it is a very dull different color. 

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which document color mode are you using?
This image shows that you use document CMYK color and you try to pick a RGB color that automaticaly converts to CMYK because your document is CMYK color:

OmarFathy_1-1673380996942.png

In Print, you should use CMYK colors not RGB.

Also you can check your Proof Setup to check if it is in the same line with your document color mode:

OmarFathy_0-1673382133387.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monitor color should not be your RGB working color mode.

Can you please show us your color settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem and it's driving me nuts. All the colours that used to be vibrant are now very dull!! Please help. I work in CMYK and RGB and its the same for both. In general the colours in 2023 look terrible 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same thing, in RGB and CMYK. It only started happening after I upgraded my computer and installed the newest version of Illustrator. VERY frustrating as my work requires precise color use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not possible to even guess possible reasons for your issue without knowing the details, such as your system, your color management settings, how you created the document and what exactly you are comparing to what exactly.

Jiust in case you are using Mac OS Ventura: it has some color issues of its own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. My colors in Illustrator and Photoshop are duller than when I preview them on my desktop. I uninstalled all of my Adobe apps (including Photoshop Beta) along with their settings and files. I reinstalled Photoshop 24.1, Illustrator 27.1.1, and a few others. I am still having the same issue.

I included screenshots of the problem along with my color profiles. I switched to CPU-viewing, which helped considerably, but it is still not identical to the original image. I have tried all sorts of combinations. I am working in RGB as well.Screenshot 2023-01-15 at 6.22.53 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-01-15 at 6.23.46 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-01-15 at 6.23.59 PM.png 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try changing your RGB working profile to something other than your monitor profile (which is not a good working space).

Synchronize your settings (you can use Bridge for that) And check your document color profile which can be found at the bottom of your document window in Illustrator.

Doc profile.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did all that, but I am still getting the same result. I checked the photo's metadata on Mac's Finder and noticed that it has a custom color profile for another monitor that I had (I am still confused as to why the picture was saved with another color profile).

However, I guess my question right now is: which color profile should I default to (in the US) for my Adobe apps and since I like the reference photo colors, should I manually match the colors using the new default color profile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having a calibrated monitor is important if you want to judge color on screen.

There are some default settings in the Color Settings that you could use as a start. 

It depends on your workflow, if internet display is important, sRGB is a good choice, if print and photography is the main focus, Adobe RGB could be an option.

I certainly would check the options to warn about missing and conflicting profiles in the Color Settings. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I deeply appreciate your help. I do have calibrated monitors (that's where the "Monitor RGB -AOC Calib" profile came from). I guess that I will work with Adobe RGB for the time being as I sometimes print some of the work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines