Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colour Trapping View as Action or Script

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am looking to automate a process we have in the print shop. I'm looking for either an action or script that could do this fairly quickly within a couple of seconds. 

We sometimes have to show the effects of colour trapping on our printing proofs. When we trap one colour under another we get a deep stroke in printing where the trapping allowance is. Sometimes we apply this to multiple artworks and sometimes we don't apply it at all.

The workflow of a script or possibly an action I am looking for is:

> Select a single Colour (can be either CMYK or PMS).

> A 2mm Stroke is applied to that colour and that colour only.

> Multiply is applied in the appearance of that Stroke and only the Stroke.

The below is what we are trying to achieve visually in a seemless and quick way. Is this possible with scripting?

Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 6.37.08 pm.png

TOPICS
Draw and design , Print and publish , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's doable, but I wonder why you wouldn't just use the Pathfinder Trap effect (see Effect menu).

You can apply it at the group or at the layer level, it's versatile and not bound to one specific colour. You can save it as a graphic style and apply/remove the style with a single click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I understand - however, with our printing method the colour trapped under always looks darker. Sometimes the Trap function in AI makes that colour look lighter for some reason. I should probably have a play with this function more to see what else it's capeable of.

Also, the team have a custom toolbar now where they click one step after another which basically automates 90% of their workflow which is why I was also after a script solution.

Is there a script that would > Run Trap in Pathfinder > Bring up the Dialogue or even the Graphic Style you speak of?

Is that a posibility?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines