• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Combining Diacritic Glyphs / Unicode in Illustrator

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our company is currently working with an Indigenous brand that uses diacritic combining Macron Belowḵ , in its name. Most Google fonts have the unicode glyph, U+0331, and render them combined on the font page on Google fonts. But when I use the Google font in Adobe Fonts or in Font book in Adobe programs, the combined two glyphs will not appear automatically. 

I found a way to render this in InDesign by kerning the two glyphs till it looked correct. Illustrator won't allow me to kern the two characters that close together without moving all the other characters over with it. Is there an easy way to render this in Illustrator to create a large number of social media graphics?

In particular my work would prefer to use Work Sans: https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Work+Sans?query=work+sans&preview.text=S%E1%B8%B5w%C3%A1lwen&previ...

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aks the foundry if they can make that character and put it into the font is not an option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess it is - but that takes time. There are so many fonts on Google that would be great to use with our local Indigenous languages, it would be nice to not have to reach out to each individual foundry to make the custom unicode combinations.

It's exciting that Google fonts even have the combining options, as that was not the case a few years ago. Other programs can render these combining codes - why can't Adobe?

If Adobe cared about promoting inclusivity then they would put more work into having their programs render all language unicode options within fonts easily. As it stands it's almost impossible to go through Adobe Fonts to find out what fonts even have the characters I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Looks like they list the supported languages although I don't know if those lists are complete: https://helpx.adobe.com/fonts/using/language-support-subsetting.html

Maybe you want to post that in the Adobe Fonts community. I think it would be great to have:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-fonts/ct-p/ct-fonts?page=1&sort=latest_replies&filter=all&tabid...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines