• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Contour to simple line?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an illustration with contour and I would like to obtain a single line to be able to apply the "width" tool.

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

You could try deleting half of the contour manually and see what you get.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Swap the fill for a stroke. Zoom in on each end of the shape, Direct Select the short segment that joins the two sides of the shape (or, if it started as a closed loop, use the Scissors or other tool to cut the path into two parallel paths), ungroup, select one of the resulting two paths, and delete it. Apply the Width Tool to the remaining stroked path. That's basically a method of achieving what Steve Fairbairn  suggested.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure what your question is, but here is a quick tutorial on using the width tool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTjtE83N_i0

This video is a quick introduction to the Width Tool in Illustrator, which enables you to adjust the thickness of a path and create custom stroke profiles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to convert this contour  to a simple line, just an stroke. Is it possible? Then, I would use the width tool.

Captura de Pantalla 2020-12-11 a la(s) 7.14.18 p. m..png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try deleting half of the contour manually and see what you get.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like it has been converted to a fill already which means that you can't use the width tool I'm afraid. You either need to redraw the shape with the pen or pencil tool or else reshape it with the direct selection tool (white arrow) by selection the anchor points and moving them. You might also try using the warp tools, but that would take a light hand, especially if you are not used to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Swap the fill for a stroke. Zoom in on each end of the shape, Direct Select the short segment that joins the two sides of the shape (or, if it started as a closed loop, use the Scissors or other tool to cut the path into two parallel paths), ungroup, select one of the resulting two paths, and delete it. Apply the Width Tool to the remaining stroked path. That's basically a method of achieving what Steve Fairbairn  suggested.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all!! Your help was very usefull. However, I think there should be a tool that does it by itself :P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What you are asking is a Holy Grail of vector use. Whoever adds a tool that takes a contour stroke and averages a path that runs in the middle so one can apply a width or stroke gets a nobel prize. I cannot wait.  There are just too many variables — how do you do that to what is basically a blob?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines