• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert non-Bezier paths to Bezier

New Here ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be a very simple question, forgive me if I am a dolt. Is there a way to convert a large number of non-Bezier paths into Bezier paths? I have many long paths representing streams, imported from GIS data (I'm using MAPublisher, an Illustrator plug-in) and I would like to turn those paths into Bezier curved paths. Is there a function that allows me to convert to curves easily?

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a sample file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, here's a really simple map that is actually layered over some aerial imagery. I'd just like the freedom to convert the contour lines and stream to curves for aesthetic purposes and ease of editing. I use some orienteering cartography software that easily does this and wonder why it may not be available in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm haing trouble attaching the AI file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could upload it to Dropbox or the like. Or (if saved PDF compatible) rename it to .PDF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without seeing it's hard to be specific but could you select all the anchor points, convert to smooth (then maybe use Simplify)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay, I got called into a meeting:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ycw1ul4k6tt68hq/WalkingMap1.ai?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. So the trouble is that some anchors are pretty dense, so converting them to smooth or using the round corner widget won't get you far.

You could try the Simplify - Object > Path > Simplify - Maybe this can help with reducing the number of points (and also with rounding them)

If that does not help, try the already mentioned VectorScribe (which is a paid plugin)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, GNSS/GPS data is generally very dense. I've already looked into the VectorScribe and will pursue that. Thanks for all of the help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just did what I said earlier and it looks fine to me, but then again I don't know what result you are looking for...

paths.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a smart path rebuilding tool in Astute Graphics VectorScribe. Perhaps that's the way to go.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines