• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copying Hex number only happens about 50% of time

Contributor ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is up with this? Its being going on across mulitple Macs and versions of Illustrator but just about EVERY time I go to copy a hex color code from the Color window nothing goes to the Mac clipboard and paste is just nothing. A second attempt at exact same process will usually be successful. However, pretty sure that on more than one occassion its taken 3 attempts. REALLY don't like having to repeat myself. 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is because the hex field has focus, but the number is not highlighted.

If you double click the number it gets a blue highlight and you can copy it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would understand that and could see how that would throw someone. I use dark mode but when I first click on the hex color the cursor will appear between the hex wherever I click, a double click from there will highlight the full hex in gray highlight and then I hit CMD C which should be the expectation.

The oddest thing is that it will usually mess up the first time, have to try again and then it will work AND will continue to work as expected for subsiquent attempts. So just sitting here doing it over and over again is fine. But whatever it is, time going by, computer going idle, switching apps no idea what but that at some future point even in the same day it will glitch again since it can be a good amount of time between hex copies.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double click seems to work for me, wonder why it sometimes does not work for you.

I use the Tab key in the Color Panel to go to and highlight the next field.

But that behaviour stops at the Hex field...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @clif_CROP,

Sorry to hear about this experience. It could be possible that a third-party program might be interfering. Would you mind trying to run Illustrator under Safe Mode (Windows / macOS) and checking if it helps?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 22, 2024 Apr 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having this issue, on both my Macs. I have no issue in any other Adobe app and I've been using Macs for 40 years now so not a user related issue...I know how to copy and paste. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several applications interfere with Copy and Paste. Sadly this also includes antivirus.

You might want to turn off everything and launch only Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not only between applications, I've gotten it to glitch just while staying in Illustrator and I don't have any antivirus installed. End of the day, there is just something different about the hex field in the color window. As Ton mentioned above, even if you select a color value above it, RGB color or CMYK color and tab through the other vaules they each highlight but when you tab again and it selects the hex color value it doesn't select the "text" as it does in the other fields. 

This issue as always been intermittent and not always reproduceable. Once it unglitches it works fine for awhile before breaking again.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the list of apps that are known to interfere with the clipboard:

• Parallels Toolbox running with the Clipboard History
  • TeamVewer Clipboard > Use Shared Clipboard
  • Apple iOS device simulator from Xcode
  • Windows Multi-clipboard
  • Windows Clipboard History
  • Chrome Remote Desktop
  • Mouse Pointer Highlighter
  • AnyViewer
  • Pastebot app
  • Overzealous antivirus (Digital Guardian) as well as viruses that empty the clipboard
  • Vector Magic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I use none of these and have no issues anywhere else with clipboard. I've confirmed a thousand times that the hex color is in the clipboard I can paste it anywhere and everwhere except the hex color field in Color window in Illustrator, when that one place is glitching. And when its the reverse problem, when I try and to copy a hex color from that field, if I can't paste it one place I can't paste in anywhere. 

Its a tempramental problem that sometimes works as anticipated and other times its just disconnected from and only multiple repeated attempts are required to get it working again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines