• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create paths or outlines

Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2024 May 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am obviously doing something very basic wrong.

I add a picture to the canvas (what sort of file should this be?) it could be photo, one colour shape etc.

go to - object, path, everything is greyed out.

Go to -type, create outlines is greyed out.

Go to magic wand nothing gets selected (like it would in photo shop).

When I use the selection tool (rhs) I just have a box around the whole image box (not the picture without even if imported from photo shop with deleted background). 

if I use selection tool (lhs) nothing can be moved or manipulated.

every video online I try to copy I cannot copy as nothing works like on the video 

I would really appreciate some help I have spent hours trying to do some really basic stuff and I just want to cry! 

I love photoshop how can I be so dumb at this !!!

TOPICS
How-to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 24, 2024 May 24, 2024

You can use Photoshop.

Please check out: https://youtu.be/4ktH0keKwa4

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use Photoshop.

Please check out: https://youtu.be/4ktH0keKwa4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow ty, I managed the path in ps and imported into illustrator. I don't really understand about what type of colour it has to be in. When I click on path finder it doesn't allow me to expand and I cannot make the path into a complex path. So if I colour my path the whole box contains the picture changes colour rather than the little outline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have got to this stage where I have expanded now but it doesn't say compound shape and there's no option to colour it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you save the file as a PDF (with the Illustrator editing preserved) and attach it here or upload it to a hoster of your choice (Adobe Cloud or Dropbox or similar) and post the link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My daughter has gad s go for me following the video and done it- thanks so much, I'm just having an issue with the image trace I am getting some white bits remaining 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you ticked the "Remove white" box in the image trace dialogue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes but where some of it is very close to the line I guess the colour has very slightly changed so it's not removed it all- if don't think you can ignore more than one colour?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select a white stroke and menu select the same (fill colour) and delete it - one at a time doesn't help you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2024 May 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It only allows me to select one colour to ignore for image trace. I have no idea why my back ground changes to different shades of white in AI. I have tried to select the colour inside the ears and now all the rest of the white area returns. I have tried to delete the white like you would on photoshop but of course that doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I presume the tolerance for ignoring the colour can't be changed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would trace that in black and white. Then you get just 2 colors. Ignore white. When traced, you can expand it and then change the color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much will give this a go

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would also be a good practical exercise to improve your use of the path tools. Use the image as a template and draw the contours by hand. You will get clean paths and improve your skills.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ty I will try this. Big learning curve thanks so much for everyone's help 😀

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Optimal conditions for an exercise: not too many paths, open and closed paths, only one contour colour and strength and no time pressure

Have fun with it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines