• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating design tool, is this something Scripts can help with?

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm currently working on designing a new labeling systm for my work, and im wanting to streamline the process. Basically I want to make it so anyone one can just put in the name of a new product and it will be entered into my design.  

image.png

This is an over simplification of what I am ultimatly trying to create. I am using a 3D Bevel and Extrude on two instances of the same "Product Name" text. The one in the forground is set to a 0px extrution and the one in the background has a Offset Paths applied to it. (I'm doing it this way because I have found that 3D bevel gets some funky artifacts when it extrudes a fill.)

I'm mostly looking to be pointed in the right direction here. It seems like Scripting the whole thing might be best, but I'm not entirely sure. I'm esssentally wanting to make a MOGRT from After Effects, but for an Illustrator design.  If anyone can hlp that would be amazing as I have been hitting my head against the wall on this.

TOPICS
Scripting , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Engaged ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sounds like you could do this using Illustrator’s built-in variable data support. Search online for “Illustrator variable data” to find tutorials, etc. That would be easiest.

If you really want to do it via scripting, give each text frame a unique name in the Layers palette; e.g. {product name}, {strapline}. You can now replace the text like this:

var doc = app.activeDocument

doc.textFrames.getByName('{product name}').contents = "New\nTitle"
doc.textFrames.getByName('{strapline}').contents = "Some\nMore\nText"

Getting the new text into the script (via dialog/CSV file/web service/whatever) is left as an exercise. You say you want anyone to be able to use this. If you wish to create a custom AI panel into which users can type their new text, you will also need to learn CEP (github.com/Adobe-CEP/Getting-Started-guides). If you’re thinking about hosting Illustrator on a web server, make sure you read Adobe’s licensing terms first. (You can only run AI on a private server on your company’s intranet, and only users who already have an AI license may use that service. For anything more, you need to use InDesign Server instead.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines