• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating layering images in black and white

New Here ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.  I design stamps using Illustrator and would like to know if anyone knows the process/method for creating something like this below?  I want to create layering images that when built up creating a 3D image.  I have no idea where to start!  

The images all need to be black but obviously when they're stamps you would use them to layer up colours to create shadows and highlights etc.  

Thank you x

Screenshot 2021-02-24 at 16.40.19.png

Screenshot 2021-02-24 at 16.26.07.png

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @caryn5FFB 

Notice that in your second image the stamps are labeled: Step 1, Step 2, Step 3. The "shadows and highlights" are done by using three different inks in different shades. Each stamp is put on a separate block, then the stamps are used in succession. Google "two-step stamping" for tutorials.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear,  I am trying to actually design a stamp set in Illustrator which will layer up when used with different inks.  I am not sure how to go about it and wondered if there was a technique to it that I'm not aware of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would start with the main shape and duplicate it on as many layers as you want stamps.

Give the shapes the color of the inks you want to use and set them to multiply in the Transparency panel to simulate how they will add when stamped on top of each other.

Then start taking away parts of the different stamp layers (lock/hide layers that you do not edit), by erasing or by drawing an opacity mask.

When done, select each layer and fill with black, use normal opacity mode and print them separately.

Screenshot 2021-02-24 at 22.53.49.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines