• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crop tool is deleting pencil tool details

New Here ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having trouble making seamless repeating swatches because I'd design the pattern, make a clipping mask for it, but then I go and crop it using the crop tool in pathfinder and suddenly all my small details I drew with the pencil tool will disappear!

Why is this happening and how can I stop it?

here's my finished swatch (not rasterized) with the clipping mask applied

Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 17.53.29.png

And as soon as I crop it so that it can act as a swatch It deletes the small drawn details on the ice cream cone & pineapple

Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 17.56.23.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

You don't need to use a clipping mask for this. Instead, but a rectangle with no fill or stroke under the part that you want to define the pattern include it as you select when you make the pattern. It will act to define the area of the pattern.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to crop it.

Just put the rectangle in the background, assign no fill, no stroke and drag the whole thing into the swatches panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, not understanding, what rectangle? Also if I just take it as is there are still paths left outside the clipping mask that need to be cropped away or else the swatch won't pattern the tiles directly next to each other, it will leave a gap for those paths.

Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 18.58.14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to use a clipping mask for this. Instead, but a rectangle with no fill or stroke under the part that you want to define the pattern include it as you select when you make the pattern. It will act to define the area of the pattern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem as you and the "correct answer" that folks were providing was inaccurate.  

I tried a million things, but I eventually converted the line to an outlined stroke, and that solved it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for posting this. It was exactly the solution I needed!:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this also worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Billie,

just to clarify a bit: The flag "correct answer" does not necessarily mean that this approach is irrevocably true or the only appropriate solution. Often it is just an appreciation given by the questioners because they think it is the best solution in their situation.

But that can vary, of course. Sometimes other answers with no flags at all can actually be better solutions. Sometimes other and better solutions are ignored or overlooked. And sometimes questioners are not able to understand the best solutions in specific cases, and therefore even do not answer nor honour them.

A quite long time ago there were no flags at all on the Adobe forums. And that worked very well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2022 Sep 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've had the same problem today, the solution was pressing expand appearance, then crop stopped steeling my details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines