• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cropping a bezier path

Contributor ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm familiar with cropping shapes, but is there a way to crop a bezier path?

E.g. in the below screengrab I'd like to cut off the parts of the path that are outside the pink square. Currently the only way I can think of doing it would be to manually insert anchor points on the path that intersect with the square?

Screenshot 2022-09-13 at 10.41.56.png

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

You may select both the arc and the square, take the Shape Builder tool, hold down the Alt key and drag across the parts you want to remove.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you need to crop the appearance (the stroke) of the path, or just the path itself?

Do you need to actually remove the cropped parts or is simply hiding them sufficient?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, yes I'd like to remove the cropped parts altogether.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the first question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may select both the arc and the square, take the Shape Builder tool, hold down the Alt key and drag across the parts you want to remove.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That will cut the arc at the path of the square, but the caps of the arc ends will be normal [perpendicular to the tangent] to the arc path at the intersection, so will appear to cut diagonally across the square.

tromboniator_0-1663066507678.png

Assuming that's not the desired result, the options I can think of at the moment are a) duplicate the square and use it as a clipping mask on the arc (which hides but does not remove the undesired parts)

tromboniator_1-1663066564178.png

and b) select the arc, go to Object > Path > Outline Stroke, then select arc and square and use Shape Builder tool + alt/opt key. to remove the unwanted portions.

tromboniator_2-1663066603352.pngtromboniator_3-1663066632490.png

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your answer — it was actually your first screengrab that is my intended result though so the shape builder tool will do nicely

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I hadnt even thought of using the shape builder tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines