Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CTR+ALT+P shortcut not working?

Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2022 Dec 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

In Illustrator I can't call the document settings dialog through the shortcut anymore. I have't changed any shortcuts, I always use the defaults. I can see the shortcut in the menu, but pressing it does nothing. Interestingly, I tried to change the shortcut to something else, but I can't do that as well. The keyboard chortcuts setting window does not allow me to change any of the shortcuts. I can remove a shortcut, but not select other one in its place. This is happening regardless of the selected keyboard language (have US and BG), but it also used to work, regardless of the selected language, before...

I have reset the preferences multiple times, but this persists.

Of course, Adobe support is non existent, so you guys are my only hope before I have to do a clean reinstall. So, any ideas?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Mentor ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try restarting your computer?

What else is running?

"Of course, Adobe support is non existent" - how so? You can't use the contact tab in Creative Cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Behaviour persists regardless of what else is running. At the moment only Chrome.

When I click on contact support it says they are closed. The chat bot is useless and only sends me to another community post, where the solution is to reset the preferences (which I have tried).

P.S.

The fact I'm asking here means I have exhausted everything I could find online as information. And yes, restarting was the first thing....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When did you try the chat? On the weekend?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you looked to see if your Keyboard shortcuts have been changed by mistake?

Maybe, resetting the default shortcuts would clear the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see you answered my first question, sorry -- maybe try making a new customized shortcut set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had that thought, but unfortunately (as I stated in my explanation) the keyboard chortcuts setting window does not allow me to change any of the shortcuts. I can remove a shortcut, but not select other one in its place. So, I can't make a custom set. Unless there is a way to replace them as a value in a settings file somewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone will need to take a look inside your system.

Customer Care can do that. If they don't, please tell us your case number and then someone might be able to step in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Alex Grant,

Thanks for reaching out. I hope the issue is resolved now. If not, would you mind booting into safe mode and checking if the same behavior is happening or not?

Also, would you mind confirming the exact version of OS & Illustrator, and are you using any plugin/ extension/ font management tool?

Kindly update the discussion if you still need assistance with it. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul_Saini,

I have been working with your support to resolve it. It seems it is not a problem within Illustrator. So far we established that if replaced with something else, the shortcut will work. The hypothesis at the moment is something on the OS level is reserving this combo (which is default for Illustrator). Unfortunatelly I can't find a way to find out what it is. Intrestingly, once I change the shortcut to something else (for testing), Illustrator does not give any response when I try to change the shortcut back to the default one. It just refuses to do it. When the shortcut is already in use (within the app) it tell you so, it gives what it is conflicting with, and also if you try to use an OS reserved one it also tells you you can't use that shortcut. But with this, there is no message. Nothing. Which is the reason innitially I thought it is a bug with Illustrator.

So, unfortunatelly the issue itself is not resolved, but it seems there isn't much your support team can do at the moment. My next step is to contact Windows support to see if there is a way to narrow down the source of the problem.

P.S.

I will try to boot into Safe Mode and see if it will work. I am not sure how to use the result of that test though. If it works, then I'll know something that doesn't load in Safe Mode is the problem, but that doesn't really narrow it much. Or does it?

Thanks,

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I restarted in SafeMode. The shortcut does work 🙂

So now what?

I am using Windows 11, build 22000, release 210604-1628

The Illustrator is version 27 fully updated (using Creative Cloud).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for checking in Safe Mode, @Alex Grant. In Safe Mode, your system starts to perform certain checks and prevent third-party software/ services from automatically loading or opening. As the shortcut works fine in Safe Mode, then open other apps one by one, which you usually open, and see which app conflicts with the Illustrator shortcut. Once you find the culprit, you will need to close/ disable/ uninstall it on your user account.

I hope it helps!

Thanks,

Anshul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines