• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cut Out Image

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know there is a way to do this and it has to be easier than I am making it. I am trying to make this Autism file for my fire department. I want to cut the maltese out. How can I do this? What is the easiest way with AI? I can't attach the AI file for some reason , can someone assist. I have the background image i want to come thru but I want to cut it out from the shape. 

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show some screen shots? Use the image icon to embed them in your post

add photoadd photo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[image: image.png]

--
Keith Badler

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Picture1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Picture1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select everything but the jigsaw pieces (hopefully they are on their own layer?), either copy and paste in place or move 0,0 and duplicate, fill with any colour, convert paths to outlines, go to pathfinder, select merge - let's call this Mask.

Select all (but only) the jigsaw pieces, shift select Mask, hit Ctrl-7, or Object->Clipping Mask->Make.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand I guess, can not get it to work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are all your puzzle pieces on their own layer, or grouped? You need to isolate them somehow - you can select each of the four different colours, select same fill, move to a new layer, repeat for the next three - for yellow you will have to deselect the yellow around the text.

Turn off that layer, all you should see is your  black and white image (plus yellow around text)

Select all, and repeat my previous post - you do not need to select or deselect between each step.

When you get to the "mask" stage, move it to the Jigsaw layer, turn all layers off, turn jigsaw layer on, make sure "mask" is upper most, select all, make a clipping mask...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, that's actually wrong, sorry missed a stage, rushing the answer, when you get to the finished mask draw a box full size of your art board, select that and mask (with mask on top) then select in Pathfinder Minus Front, then use that as the mask for the clipping mask...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

MalteseCross.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keith,

As I (mis)understand it, you can:

1) Select the four black paths, then Ctrl/Cmd+8 to turn them into a Compound Path;

2) ShiftClcik the jigsaw artwork to also select that, then Ctrl/Cmd+7 to make a Clipping Mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not get it to  work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In which parts of your foreground motif should the puzzle pattern remain visible?

Please show it again (maybe as a sketch)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines