• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Data Recovery Files Missing After Crash

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My laptop wasn't powering on and when it did I got a "Restarted because of a problem" error screen and when it booted back up the .ai file I was working in and had saved was gone. 

I looked for the path where my data recovery file should've been and there's nothing there. 

I ran a data recovery program and I can see the missing data, I know it's the data to the file I was working in from the timestamp June 21st, that was the last time I was tinkeing in it.

I was hoping I might be able to restore the missing data back under the file path it originated and restarted illustrator to trigger the 'recovered' file but the system doesn't give me write access...

Is there a way to salvage this at all?

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you could try: make a copy of the file you are seeing with your tool and move it somewhere else to secure it.

Launch Illustrator. When you launch it and it finds something in the Receovery folder, it will try to recover it. It will show a popup and ask if it should do that. You have to say yes. Otherwise it will delete the recovery file. When it fails to recover it, then that's that.

File recovery is not a backup solution. And should not be used as such. It can spare you the hassle of recreating the last 20 minutes. But don't ever try and rely on it for more than that timespan.

You said the computer was without power. If it runs out of power while saving that is the absolute worst moment for power outage. And that includes the file recovery.

Save early. Save often. Save different versions. And then you can use file recovery.

That said: maybe @Anshul_Saini can help you with the copy of the recovery data you have. You can hope for a miracle of some sort, but the chances are slight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @willw58926856,

Sorry to hear about that. You may share the recovery file with me, and I will check if it is recoverable or not. Generally, when recovery data is recovered from any third-party recovery app, it overrides the recovery data, which leads to data corruption.

In addition to Monika's suggestion, you can also try saving as a Cloud document or Creative Cloud

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines