• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Default Alignment Options

New Here ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It'd be very nice if there was a way to toggle the default alignment mode between 'align to selection' and 'align to key object' when selecting more than 1 object. I'm trying to create an action that centers one object to a key object but the default alignment mode is to selection, which means I have to change it every time I run the action which kind of defeats the purpose.

This is something that would save me a lot of time since I use the align to key object function countless times in a day at work.

TOPICS
Feature request , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi maybe action can help hope in the future we get this...regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you choosing your key object? Align to key doesn't show unless there is a key object.

How does your action know which of the selected items is the key?

If you have selected a key object then the default for align is align to key... well it is in my Illy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed that when there are 2 objects selected that are on different layers and the alignment mode is set to key object, the object on the upper most layer is automatically set as the key object.

I work in packaging where I have to align artwork to dielines and the dielines are always on their own layer above the artwork. My action would work perfectly fine if I could just set my default alignment mode to key object because the dielines would always be set as the key object since they're on the top layer.

Notice in the attached video how as soon as I change the alignment mode, the dieline object becomes the key object. Ultimately I'd like to be able to select these 2 objects and trigger an action with a keyboard shortcut that center aligns vertically and horizantally to the key object. As of now, the action is only able to align to selection which doesn't work in my case since a lot of dieline layouts are static on the artboard and I can't risk moving them around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the Illustrator file you used in the video?

I think I have an idea for a slightly different action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"the object on the upper most layer is automatically set as the key object" - yes.

"the action is only able to align to selection" - ah, ok, so it's a problem with the recoding of the action...

Script instead?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As well as Met, I'd be interested in how you would manage to automatically set a specific object as the key object for alignment as an action step.

If you ask me, currently that's just not possible. But perhaps you found a way to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines