Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

detect font substitution in svg

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a way to detect if a font has been substituted when opening an svg in Illustrator? Ideally, I'd like to be able to detect it programmatically via jsx script but first I'm just looking to see if there is any visual indication that a font has been substituted.

TOPICS
Import and export, Scripting, Tools, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you open a file, Illustrator will tell you that a font is missing.

Does that not happen with your SVGs?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the svg calls for Roboto (san-serif) and Illustrator is replacing with Roboto Slab Regular (serif). I don't see any warning of any kind.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Interesting: As you said, there appears to be no mechanism in Illustrator to detect missing fonts in SVG files. I had the same results on a test file... it just substituted Arial without any notice in my case, with no mention in the Font list of my intended font. Don't know why that would be, because if you place such a file in InDesign, the missing fonts ARE indicated in the Find/Replace Font dialog, so why not Illustrator.

In the SVG code itself (open in a text editor), the required font is very plainly indicated, so it seems like an easy thing to do... maybe a script can dig into that??

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines