• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Difference between Photoshop brush and Illustrator brush

New Here ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is about a 'paint filling' problem, and about a difference between Photoshop brushes and Illustrator brushes.

Let's draw an "8" shaped figure in Photoshop, with a solid brush. 

Use your Paint Bucket. You can fill the top half of your 8 in, say, red and the bottom half in yellow. Both halves are treated separately. That's intuitively what I would expect.

Now let's draw an "8" shaped figure in Illustrator, also with a solid brush.

When you want to "fill" (I haven't found another parallel with Photoshop's Paint Bucket), your entire 8 is filled. The top half and the bottom half are not (automatically) treated separately.

How can I mimic Photoshop's behaviour in Illustrator? I.e. how can I draw in Illustrator a bunch of enclosed areas and fill them the way I did in Photoshop? Or, differently put, how can I separate (for the purpose of filling / painting) the various parts of a polygon? Probably a stuuuupid question, but I confess that I am a real newbie. So, be gentle with me 🙂

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, got it. Apparently, this is a job for "Living Paint". This is more or less how it works:

- Select the shapes you want to take part in the paint session.

- Type "K", to activate Living paint

- You may get a referral to the Object >> Living Paint >> Join (I'm working on a Dutch version, so maybe "Join" is not the proper translation) submenu. Don't know what this does "technically", but it works.

- From now on, Illustrator understands the idea of 'separate space', which you can paint separately, such as the upper and the lower half of an 8.

Problem Solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines