Exit

Different dimensions in Illustrator than Photoshop

Participant ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I ran into a very annoying issue:

I have a PS file that is 1366X768 in 72 dpi.

I placed it into a document in AI and than saved it as PDF with no downsampling at all, because I wanted to preserve the best quality of it.

Now, when I view the PSD in PS, at 100% it is in a certain size and quality, but when I view it in 100% in Acrobat, it's much bigger and much worse quality. Of course that if I view it in less than 100% in Acrobet it's even worse.

So, why is there a difference between AI and PS (and PDF) in the on-screen sizes of images (at 100%) and is there a way to make them all the same?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Try setting the Acrobat Preferences > Page Display > Resolution to 72 pixel/inch

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Jun 12, 2022 Jun 12, 2022

Thank! I think it did the job 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try setting the Acrobat Preferences > Page Display > Resolution to 72 pixel/inch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 12, 2022 Jun 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank! I think it did the job 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remember this is a personal setting. It does t go with the document. Each recipient will see their own selection. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I thought about it as well. 

Is there a way to make it global? that documents I create will open at 72 dpi on every computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No way to make it global. It is irritating when you see the same file on the same machine displayed differently, but I don't think a receipient of the PDF will measure the dimensions on screen with a ruler.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not matter of measuring, but of quality.

When I create a 72dpi image and Acrobat was set to different resolution, than the quality of the image in Acrobat was worse than the original image. So, If I change it on my machine to 72 it's ok, and I see it as I intended, but I'm affraid the costumer, the reciever of the PDF file might see it in poor quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest 72 ppi is poor quality...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya well... it's just for presentation of concept. Though it's not really the issue. I'd like that the viewer will see the same quality that I see.

With that said, how much dpi would you recomment to use?  For years I've been using 72 for on-screen viewing.... is there a need for more?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A lot of displays have more than twice the resolution so 144 would be better or 2X when exporting for screens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines