• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Direct Select Path Segment

Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to remove the stroke of a specific object while leaving the path to guide a fill. Though, when using the Direct Select tool, it removes the stroke of the whole object. I can (sometimes) delete the path, but all-in-all I think it is misbehaving.

Just for added info, when I attempt to change the opacity of the selection, the whole object becomes transparent.

TOPICS
Bug , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

You can't add or remove a stroke from part of an object. If you want to do that, you will have to cut the object into multiple paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't add or remove a stroke from part of an object. If you want to do that, you will have to cut the object into multiple paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a fan of frankensteining my objects, but I imagine it would work.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I left a typo in original post (not cool enough to edit yet). It meant to say that I am trying to change stroke properies on a specific SEGMENT of a path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It meant to say that I am trying to change stroke properies on a specific SEGMENT of a path.

By @Tonys_Denial.exe

That's how I interpreted your post. There is no such unit in Illustrator as a 'segment' of a path as far as appearance attributes are concerned. The whole path either has a stroke or it does not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Tony,

As I (mis)understand it, for your purpose here, you can fake it rather than frankenstein it as follows:

1) Deleselect the path by clicking some empty spot on the Artboard/Workspace, then Click the segment with the Direct Selection Tool, then hold Ctrl/Cmd and press C then F then X then F to create a new separate path with a black stroke on top of the segment, and then remove the Fill;

2) Increase the Stroke of the new path slightly (you can try without that, and undo the following to do it if you get an ugly (set of) hairline(s));

3) For each end of the new path from 2, press P then click the end Anchor Point and click a wee bit past the spike of the original path;

4) With the (normal black) Selection Tool select both the new path and the (entire) original path from 1) and create a(n Opacity) Mask (Transparency panel).

This is obviously silly, and it is much easier to copy the original path, then remove the Stroke from the original and the Fill from the copy and deselect then Click the top segment with the Direct Selection Tool and delete it, then Group the two paths.

Except, as a bad excuse, that the fake will make the curve of the Fill flush/continuous with the upper (apparent) curved edges of the Strokes of the adjacent segments.

And what Doug said, of course.

By the way, if you increase the Miter Limit, all the Joins will appear as true Miter Joins rather than Bevel Joins, as one of them does.

Click Here to see in Chrome 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines