• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Direct Select Tool Not Working in Illustrator 27.0.1

Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I'm so frustrated using Illustrator as the simplest tasks seen to be above my brainpower.  I can't get the direct select tool to work. Ive gone into 'View' and made sure 'show corners', 'show edges' are on. I'm doing an online course and have fallen at the first hurdle. Im using a logitec mouse if that makes a difference.Do you have any advice?  Thank you.

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you perhaps tell us what exactly is not working? What you doing step by step and where do you get stuck?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika, absoltely nothing happens at all! I put more details in my other response.  I had a prior issue with the cut tool not working for me either, I 'm sure the issue is me. Thank you for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Janet,

Silly question, but what happens when you are trying to select something? Do you get an error message, or does it just doesn't select anything? Can you post a screenshot of what you get?

In case you are on a weird setting/option of the direct selection tool (the white arrow) or the standard selection tool (the black one), check the help files and see what's in there.

Just a tip: the way the tool behaves is contextual, meaning if you hover over different areas of your shape, you get different tool behaviours (which are explained in the link above) and sometimes it can cause confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. i had to use an existing ai file the tutor created, from AI 2020.  I was able to measure a distance and is attached is her telling us to use the DS tool to draw the line. ( prior to this we created an additional layer and the first layer was locked.  when I use DS key I see nothing.  I did reboot thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Silly question again, does it happen with a shape you create yourslef (in a new file)

See if you can select one anchor point on a circle for example, or create a simple new path with the pen tool and try to select the nodes individually. Is it the same result?

Do you have any trouble with the normal selection tool? Any other tool? (so we can put aside any mouse problem)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Imaginerie. I seem to be able to use direct select in my own new document, so assuming it must be something to do with a file i inserted?  Doesnt seem to be a mouse issue.Thanks for your patience!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, if you want (and can!) share the document that gives you grief (maybe ask the teacher?) then maybe we can test it to see what's causing the problem?

If the file is too large you can use a creative cloud link (provided that you give access to anyone with the link)
Let me know if you need help with that part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! I'll try.  what i'll also do is use another purchased template to see if that makes a difference.

thank you Imaginie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Met1 for your comments and yes you're correct, I not made much progress since I last reached out to the community 8 months ago.  I am a struggling beginner and due to time contstraints I had to pay professionals to do the work I required. I sadly have limits on the time I have available to learn and practice and I now trying again. Perhaps I am a slow learner, I have spent most of the week on tutorials and have a session booked with a professional which I hope will help. There are no incompatability issues with my Logitech and mac as far as I can see.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines