• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disable brush smoothness in CC18

Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've researched this topic and I know it's been asked a few times on this forum, however I don't see anything for the latest version of Illustrator and the solutions provided have not worked for me.

I double click the brush tool to get to the tool Options menu. All of the forum entries state that there should be a fidelity and a smoothness slider. I only see Fidelity, with a range of accurate to smooth. I've lowered it all the way down to Accurate but I still get real smooth brush strokes. I'm trying to use a Wacom tablet but even without out it I still don't get the desired result. Heck, if I draw a square it gets smoothed to a circle. That's how bad it is. I've played around with the other settings but nothing works. I just want to get the same results that I get when I disable smoothing in Photoshop.

Thanx.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

unfortunately the latest Illustrator documentation still mentions both Fidelity and Smoothness sliders:

How to work with brushes in Illustrator

though this is obviously inaccurate. there were many complaints about the simplified brush/pencil options when they were introduced and i think that despite tweaks since then, the smoothing in CC versions is still much more aggressive than it used to be even at the lowest settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

What helps a little bit is making your artwork as big as possible. The bloblbrush will then make more vectorpoints and thus a less smooth and more accurate "stroke". ou can make it the correct size afterwards. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not going to get the same results since the Adobe Illustrator Brushes are mainly Vector brushes so the disable smoothing does not apply.

The most you can do to receive almost the same effect is to use the bristle brushes in Illustrator and after tht apply to them an appearance so they look smooth.

https://spark.adobe.com/page/d4XhyajktTb0h/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I kind of figured I wouldn't get the exact same results since they are vectors but since all of the documentation pointed to two different sliders I was hoping maybe I was just missing some option that would do the trick.

Thanx!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The options for the brush panel in Illustrator will tell you if it is a smooth drawing. Try the options and see what it does. In the image enclose it is the same drawing one is accurate the top one...more anchor points. the bottom one is smooth less anchor point!

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 09.48.04.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i see a marked difference in fidelity from one end of the slider to the other:

brush-smoothing.png

there used to be sliders for both Fidelity and Smoothness but the interface was simplified (for better or worse) some versions ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unfortunately the latest Illustrator documentation still mentions both Fidelity and Smoothness sliders:

How to work with brushes in Illustrator

though this is obviously inaccurate. there were many complaints about the simplified brush/pencil options when they were introduced and i think that despite tweaks since then, the smoothing in CC versions is still much more aggressive than it used to be even at the lowest settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I kind of figured I wouldn't get the exact same results since they are vectors but since all of the documentation pointed to two different sliders I was hoping maybe I was just missing some option that would do the trick.

Thanx!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone still looking for how to do this, you need to double click the actual brush tool to adjust fidelty, not the brush itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The whole thread concentrates on doing just that. Everyone who posted in this thread is referring to that dialog box and the new things that were introduced to it in version CC.

Old:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-11 um 14.16.58.png

New:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-11 um 14.14.53.png

Maybe you have never seen the old one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What helps a little bit is making your artwork as big as possible. The bloblbrush will then make more vectorpoints and thus a less smooth and more accurate "stroke". ou can make it the correct size afterwards. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines