• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does anyone else have a problem when manually entering values

Engaged ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot count the number of times I have clicked on a field in a pallet and quickly typed the value I want to REPLACE the value in the field only to have it add the value I entered somewhere in the existing number.

When you select a field (whether that's by clicking on it or tabbing to it, the entire contents of the field should be selected by default. Clicking a field should always select the entire field content. If you want more precision, click within the selection to select where you want to INSERT values.

For example. I roughly approximate a circle of 50px width and 50px height. Then I realize that I really meant 50px radius. I click on the Width field in the Transform Box and quickly type 100, press tab and type 100 then notice what has happened. My circle is now 51000px wide by 10050 tall. In my book, this is a complete error on Illustrator's field behavior. More often than not, when clicking to activate a field, the insertion point is added where I clicked. Meaning that I have to now double-click the same area to hopefully get the "SELECT ALL" behavior to work, or press Control-A to select all, or do what I normally do and use my arrow keys to scoot over to 1/10000th of a pixel and delete the entire value (hopefully not deleting the units and hopefully getting all of the digits--never mind I have selected "snap to pixel so there is no need for sub-pixel measurements) then press Delete before I can start typing the value I want. By now, I forgot what that value is and what I was doing.

It should only place the insertion point where I clicked ONCE THE FIELD IS SELECTED. That's how every other UI on the planet works. 

Furthermore, when tabbing into a field, ALWAYS SELECT THE ENTIRE FIELD CONTENT so that you can TAB-start typing and be sure that you aren't added to the value, you are just entering the value, REPLACING its previous contents.

I know people are probably used to the way that it is and though I think it is functionally incorrect and useless, shouldn't there be an option to allow us to USE TRADITIONAL UI STANDARDS FOR MANUAL FIELD VALUE ENTRY? or better yet, change it and then allow the option of: USE ILLUSTRATORS BUGGY AND INCONSISTENT METHOD OF MANUAL FIELD VALUE ENTRY.

Before I submit a bug report/feature request, does anyone disagree with this?

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

I think the behaviour is as I would expect it.

Click somewhere in a field to add or remove, just like clicking in a text (you don't want the whole text selected when you click into it).

Click and drag in a field to select a range to modify it.

Double click an item in a field to select that item (digits, mm, px).

Triple click in a filed to select the whole content.

Click on the value indicator to the left of the field to select all of the content.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in agreement and have on and off experienced the same thing you are describing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always click on the value indicator to the left of the field to select all of the content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think the behaviour is as I would expect it.

Click somewhere in a field to add or remove, just like clicking in a text (you don't want the whole text selected when you click into it).

Click and drag in a field to select a range to modify it.

Double click an item in a field to select that item (digits, mm, px).

Triple click in a filed to select the whole content.

Click on the value indicator to the left of the field to select all of the content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines