• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does anyone use Move Plane to Match Object?

New Here ,
May 13, 2023 May 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Move Plane to Match Object is not adequately explain, or not really explained at all in the documentation.  There is virtually zero information about it online.  When I use it, nothing happens.  I guess it is broken.  Has anyone used it?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika, I appreciate that screenshots could be useful.  However, honestly, there is nothing to show.  Nothing happens.  I don't mean to be difficult.  In princile, I should select an object with the perspective selection tool, and then ask it to move the perspective plans, and the planes should move to math the edge of the object.  But nothing happens.  I appreciate your time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. So perspective objects belong to a layer. This yellow object belongs to the orange layer. But the layer is now at a different position than the object. As soon as you move the layer, it thayer gets adjusted to the object:

https://youtu.be/b93jeHap3o4 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the video.  I see that the plane does move. That doesn't happen for me.  In any case, I don't see the logic behind where it moves to.  It isn't lining up with anything obvious.  I guess it just putting the plane around the object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The positions of the planes are important when you want to position your objects precisely into the perspective coordinate system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thanks for your help.  Can I ask a related question.  How can I align two objects in a perspective plane. The usual align tools dont' work.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aligning does work. But only the objects on a plane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm.  Honestly, I can't get it to work. I've tried everything.  I have two rectangles in a perspective plane;  I select them; I go to the align menu and select center vertically or horizontally; the rectangles move, but they areno longer aligned with the perspective grid. Does it help to hold down a control key or something?  I'm sorry if I'm being stupid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you use the perspective selection tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do.  Here are some screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please embed the screenshots and tell us exactly what you did? I'm not sure if they are in the corect order

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is an example of the problem.  These two squares are in the same perspective plane.  Please trust me that I have the perspective selection rule on, although you can't see it.  I select them both and press vertical center-align.

And the perspective is messed up. 

Screen Shot 2023-05-16 at 8.02.08 AM.png

I press this:  Screen Shot 2023-05-16 at 8.06.46 AM.png

and get this:

Screen Shot 2023-05-16 at 8.02.24 AM.png

 Thanks for your effort to help me,
Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On futher study, here is a clue:  After executing the center align vertically and horizontally, the bounding boxes appear to be correct, but the rectangle shape inside the bounding boxes is not lining up with its bounding box, as seen below.   For a work around, is there any way I can tell the rectangle shape to line up with it's bounding box?

Screen Shot 2023-05-16 at 8.52.40 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thank you. I can reproduce it now.

What threw me off yesterday was that the objects did not get detached form the perspective grid, which should usually happen when they are moved out of perspective. And that is probably the reason why the bounding box looks right.

I don't think that there is anything you can do about it. 

When drawing objects or when aligning single objects after having drawn them, you can use Smart guides for aligning. You can also draw a couple of objects, make a symbol out of them, drag that into the perspective grid and then use alignment in the symbol editing mode.

Maybe file a bug report: https://illustrator.uservoice.com 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will study the subject of symbols.   Thanks for your help. It must be a bug.  Is there  anyway to make the rectangle match its bounding box?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Work around:  Make objects without perspective active.

image.png

Center them.

Screen Shot 2023-05-16 at 9.47.51 AM.png

 Pull them into perspective together. They are still centered.

Screen Shot 2023-05-16 at 9.48.09 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines