• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does my work laptop have the right specs for Graphic Design work?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm writing because I recently joined a company and I was provided with a work laptop. To my surprise, it was the same laptop all my colleagues receive even though their work is limited to Office 365 and my role is Graphic Design. I work with Adobe CC (mainly Illustrator) and I have been experiencing a lot of crashes from the laptop in spite of the tasks being quite menial i.e. drawing a shape on an artboard, exporting a PNG, etc.

I've reached out to IT but they can't seem to point out if the work laptops are capable of carrying a graphic design workload. On my personal life, I only work with MacOS (a 2012 MacbookPro) and I have never experienced lagging, freezing or crashing from any Adobe apps. However, I do not know the specs of my personal laptop to compare and contrast if my work laptop is considerably behind.  

Can anyone advise? I'm attaching the work laptop specs for your consideration.

Thanks! 🙂

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like a pretty average laptop, but there should be no issues under normal use in Illustrator, and would probably be at least comparable your ten year old MacBook Pro if not better. Crashes when performing everyday tasks would point to some more specific problem.

Unless you can pinpoint some specific cause of a crash, you should go through the usual troubleshooting steps i.e. reset preferences, uninstall/CC Cleaner/reinstall, create new user account etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Doug,

I'll see if doing regular troubleshooting can help. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only concern I see is your graphics card. The Iris Xe has an ops sec of 1,400 and the recommended for Photoshop is 2,000. It may be a bit laggy but should work.

I would send your IT dept the minimum/recommended specs for Photoshop as a benchmark. If it works in PS, it will work in AI.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for pointing that out Kevin. I'll look at the requirements and see where it takes me from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the AI systme requirements:
https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/system-requirements.html

Looks like your graphics card is not supported?

FYI, 2012 MBP spec:
https://support.apple.com/kb/sp649

(You can get it via "About This Mac" from the menu bar)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Awesome Kenneth, 

Many thanks for sharing those requirements. I'll go through them and use this as proof that the laptop might no be fit for purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines