• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Downloading font family members but each new one makes the previous unusable.

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

I'm trying to replace missing font in an Illustrator document, when I download a missing font for the specific family i.e. Gotham Ultra, once I add it to my font book it makes Gotham Bold unusable. And vice versa. I'll post a picture of the font book below, but another example is with the Metropolis font family, loading the "Regular" font style makes the "Bold" version unusable. I'm given the prompt to KEEP BOTH, SKIP, or REPLACE. Replacing it removes all of the other font styles from that family, keeping both makes others unusable, and skipping does nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Please/Thank you in advance! 

TOPICS
Performance , Third party plugins , Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Plausible deniability from MS.

I think Metropolis is a free font, so the Font ID for that maybe the issue, and you're not going to get a different version of a free font, so, I think the solution is to find a different OTF version of Gotham - probably best to buy direct from Hoefler...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They probably have conflicting IDs.

See if anything here helps:- http://www.jklstudios.com/misc/osxfonts.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting...but nothing they had to offer helped with my fonts. Thanks tho! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a great deal of help if you have a lot of text or mutliple fonts in the same para, but load one set, type your text, convert to outlines, load your second font.

Of course it's quite possible these two are not excluding each other but each has a conflict with another font - I don't use font book so I don't know if this is possible but back in the day with Suitcase you could create font sets and turn them on and off on the fly. Create one for your two fonts, turn everything else off. Of course if it's a system font conflict or it is indeed those two conflicting with each other you're still up the same creek...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/compatibility-issue-with-a-font-gotham/513e0d...

This is the issue i'm having, but via Adobe Illustrator (I was struggling to fully explain my issue) Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plausible deniability from MS.

I think Metropolis is a free font, so the Font ID for that maybe the issue, and you're not going to get a different version of a free font, so, I think the solution is to find a different OTF version of Gotham - probably best to buy direct from Hoefler...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My thoughts exactly, I ended up just swapping out for a different font. After the fact I found that I was sent a file from 2020 that nobody knew anything about so probably for the best to update. Thank you for the tips/help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines