• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DPI when exporting from Illustrator on iPad?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I'm still a newbie and am not that great at tech stuff, my background is in fine art so I don't know what a lot of computery words mean, haha.  I just got an iPad last year and started making printable art to sell online, which I've been doing.  I've been exporting my art from Adobe Illustrator on the IPad to jpegs and selecting high quality and high resolution.  BUt it doesn't actually tell me what those are in dpi, and now I'm worried maybe it's not high enough to be selling as printable art prints.  The print sizes I make the art range from 8x10 to 16x20 inches.  I select an art board of each size and put the art on it and then export it at high quality and high resolution.  Does anyone know what dpi my art is at based on that information?  I have sold some prints and haven't had any negative reviews, but I really hope its 300 dpi, but now I'm getting worried maybe it's not.  I also don't have a printer at the moment so I haven't even seen them printed.  Please help me you more experienced digital artists!  Thank you in advance!

Jenna

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

When you export in Illustrator on the iPad a resolution of High exports at 300 ppi, Medium exports at 150 ppi and Low at 72 ppi.

If that is enough for the desired output method depends on the specifications you get from the printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi in illustrator it is diificult as 300 dpi in computer i think it will be same for Ipad Version all will be good hope so...regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There really isn't enough information in your post to determine and evaluate exactly what you're doing. Without knowing how your art originates and the basis of its constructs, one could only guess. In any case export to JPEG may not be a good choice on your part.

Hi!

I'm still a newbie and am not that great at tech stuff

It surely doesn't have to stay that way. Here's a short read that will help you start understanding the significance of the type of art you're creating, whether it's construct is vector or raster, and why it matters:

https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/vector-vs-raster-graphics/

As for resolution, the unit of measure of raster image resolution is pixels per inch, with the correct abbreviation being ppi, not 'dpi,' which is oftern mistakenly interchanged with ppi. ('DPI' stands for dots per inch, a measure of printer resolution.) The other thing I'd mention is that in relaton to image resolution, the number 300 (ppi or dpi) holds no magic. Long ago, someone who got tired of receiving images of insufficient resolution set forth a specification of 300 ppi as a dumbed-down catch-all that would satisfy most of all of the output requirements of their particular operation, and strike any need to explain the proper methods for determining minimum image resolution to the under-initiated. Somehow it caught on and now it seems everyone who begins dabbling in computer graphics immediately hears "300 dpi" as bible verse, and it often leads them to take unnecessary measures to achieve it. More basic info:

https://www.prepressure.com/design/basics/resolution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.  I was able to figure out by looking at the details of the image on my phone and dividing some numbers by 300 and getting the measurements of the page that they are in fact 300 dpi, or ppi or whatever it should

be called, so all is good and I'm satisfied I'm not providing subpar resolution prints to people.  I feel much assured and will continue on.  I chose jpegs as that's what most places that print high quality art prints seem to want.  I originally was doing pdf so they could remain vectors, but a lot of places won't print PDFs and all of the high selling shops selling similar digital download prints are selling jpegs, so I switched to offering different sizes of jpegs.  Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you export in Illustrator on the iPad a resolution of High exports at 300 ppi, Medium exports at 150 ppi and Low at 72 ppi.

If that is enough for the desired output method depends on the specifications you get from the printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  I was finally able to figure out in a round about way since my post that my images are 300ppi, but that was the exact information I was looking for, thank you!!  I even chatted with Adobe support and the person didn't have a clue what ppi it was, haha.  But I figured someone here who knows about this stuff would know.  Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome.

Should you ever need higher resolution you will either have to do the export on the desktop version or create a larger size document in Illustrator. It will then still export at 300 ppi, but since it will be larger dimensions it can be scaled down to fit the output media and will then be a higher resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines