• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drawing to Vector Terminology

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When a hand drawing by pencil is converted into Vector what is it called as far as a process or art? 

For example if it was a hand pencil drawing. In some cases you don't have to do a lot of work to vectorize the image, so it really wouldn't be digital drawing in a true sense. If you claimed so I think that would be an insult to those who spend all their time drawing by a digital tablet. 

I was curious if there's a terminology to the progress. I guess you could say vectorizing but as far as art I don't know. Any thoughts?

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

In some cases you don't have to do a lot of work to vectorize the image

Well, that depends on the nature of the drawing and the method by which it's converted to vectors. It's a matter of whether it's an automatic (software) trace or a manually executed trace using user input-controlled tools. Either way, I'd call it tracing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In some cases you don't have to do a lot of work to vectorize the image

Well, that depends on the nature of the drawing and the method by which it's converted to vectors. It's a matter of whether it's an automatic (software) trace or a manually executed trace using user input-controlled tools. Either way, I'd call it tracing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In my Illustrator classes, mainly in order to make a differentiation, I refer to the automated process as "image tracing" and the manual process as "recreating". 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines