• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Duplicating data marge objects with variable data content?

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to set up print and cut files for 100 copies of 100 labels, each with different content. They are simple, just one line of text, but all different.

I have used data merge to create a file with variable content using 100 data sets, from which I can save 100 versions of the label. Quick and easy.

Now I need to print and cut 100 copies of each from Caldera by nesting these 100 files, each step & repeated 100 times to form one big print/cut file of 1000 labels. This sounds easy, but in Caldera its painful, unless I'm missing something.

What I would prefer to do is create one artboard in Illustrator that contains all 100 variations of the label, save that as a single file, and print 100 copies. That would save me a lot of trouble.

Problem is in in Illustrator, when I go to copy my original label with the variable content it loses its variable-ness. Is there a way to step and repeat this with each copy showing a different data set?

It's probably worth it for the sake of my education, but in the amount of time I've been searching for a way to do this I coud have just typed out the 100 labels and been done with it!

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?