Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit Gradient tool off the canvas

Contributor ,
May 13, 2024 May 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a large number of individual outlined paths with gradients in them. When I want to Edit the Gradient, the handles are miles off the canvas. It's a pain to edit. Is this a bug?

What?What?

Or can I force all the gradients to fit on the artboard in one action?

I can't seem to be able to edit multiple gradients at once.

Do I have to do this on every single path?

Thanks,

Will

TOPICS
Draw and design , How-to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 14, 2024 May 14, 2024

When you save a gradient, the angle is saved as well.

When you apply a gradient swatch, hold down the alt key. Then the angle is applied as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the gradients saved as swatches?

The plugin Subscribe/Gradiator offers a button called "Fit to art"

So just in case you have Astute Graphics plugins (not free), then that's what you can use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 14, 2024 May 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the gradients are all swatches. Nothing looks untoward, all within the confines of the settings. It's odd. I'll take a look at that plugin; thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this artwork imported from another application? It's not natural for the gradient annotator to be extending completely outside the maximum workspace limits. I wouldn't trust such a thing to print correctly. I'd probably change the object fills to a normal solid fill to get rid of that gradient and re-build a gradient that is within the art board or at least within the visible workspace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it was all created in the file. I used the line tool and then outlined paths. The file was filled with gradients from my swatches. I'll try a solid fill and eye dropping some test versions of the gradients.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed the fills to solid and made some test gradients. When I eye-dropped them, it copied the gradient but not the correct angle. At least it put the bounds on the canvas this time, so it fixed that.

Is there a key command to make sure you also copy the correct angle?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't drag the gradient object I want to copy into the Graphic Styles Panel either. I've no idea why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you save a gradient, the angle is saved as well.

When you apply a gradient swatch, hold down the alt key. Then the angle is applied as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yikes. Why doesn't it default to copy the correct angle when eye-dropped or selected? That seems wrong.

Anyway, to get the angle I set in my gradient, I can hold down alt when selecting the swatch. That works.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share this Illustrator file for inspection?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download it from this shared drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dKP02PsxGiYvOaNHL2r-yEPGha9LAEL1/view?usp=sharing

See if you can find anything.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines