Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing musical notation on illustrator

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Apologies if this has already come up, I've seen a few posts about music notation on illustrator but none that have answered this:

If you have a page of music notation exported from a program like Sibelius or Finale (like attached), which is a vector graphic, is it possible to place the image into illustrator so that it's as editable as it would be if you'd created it on illustrator?

If I use live trace then it is possible, but it degrades the original so it's not usable — my aim would be to keep it as a vector graphic without losing any quality — but just to be able to edit lines and objects within illustrator.

Hope that's clear!

Thanks in advance 

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

I just opened your PDF in Illustrator and everything was vector (outlines) with the exception of a missing font.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know Sibelius exports PDF, EPS and a bunch of other stuff which is already vector based, so there's no need to jump hoops with tracing or any of that. You should be able to just grab the objects and move them around. The problem likely is more that certain musical constructs will still be rendered as pixel data to generate their appearance and those may need to be re-created manually. Otherwise if you just want to fancy up your pages with additional graphics none of this should matter and you will be able to just add your stuff.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just opened your PDF in Illustrator and everything was vector (outlines) with the exception of a missing font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah yes, you're both right — must have been going mad earlier — thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines