Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements on Design Saving in Greyscale

New Here ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone!

I have found that quite frequently when I go to save a design as an .ai file, all or some elements of the design are saving as greyscale IF I save it with a transparent background. It's also super inconsistent as to what elements of the design are saving greyscale -- sometimes it's objects, other times it's text, and sometimes it's the entire design. Nothing I Google seems to come up with a solution. I check my colors and Greyscale is never turned on for the document and I am seeing the colors as a design, it just saves this way. Most of the time when I am trying to save an .ai file it's to send to get printed on apparel, so I am a little insecure about it sending designs this way. When I open the file it shows full color (for me,) but I am not sure how it would open for someone else. 

I attached a screenshot of both with and without a background for reference. Just to note the heart and words are both objects, and the words are saving greyscale. I did try to save the design with the words as text and as an object and the same result occurred.

Can anyone help me with this? 

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Import and export , Performance , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Acrobat can open the same kind of AI files that Preview can open: when a PDF is embedded in them. Here's how the file format works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpDh8Y7q8yE

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

As Monika has already helped you discover, it's best not to base any conclusions on what you see or what happens when you open a file in Preview. It's simply not reliable enough to play any role in a professional workflow.

If you reopen the file in Illustrator, and an object in question is not actually in grayscale mode, then Illustrator is not "saving in grayscale".

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you are saving a PDF and then opening it using Apple Preview?

What happens when you use Acrobat instead (because Preview cannot be trusted with anything).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am saving it as an Illustrator (.ai) file and when I open it in preview that is what is showing. I do have Acrobat, but didn't realize that I could open .ai files in that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat can open the same kind of AI files that Preview can open: when a PDF is embedded in them. Here's how the file format works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpDh8Y7q8yE

Illustrator has a special way of saving native files. You should know this in order to be able to set the correct options and to recover some of your artwork when things go wrong. More info about saving files in Illustrator Saving safely: http://vektorgarten.de/illustrator-saving-safely.html ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Monika has already helped you discover, it's best not to base any conclusions on what you see or what happens when you open a file in Preview. It's simply not reliable enough to play any role in a professional workflow.

If you reopen the file in Illustrator, and an object in question is not actually in grayscale mode, then Illustrator is not "saving in grayscale".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you guys for your help! I really appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines