• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Embedding Linked File Expands to Box

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I frequently import PDFs into Illustrator (v. 25.4.1) as linked files in case I am missing fonts. I will then embed the links, or undo and flatten to outline font if I do not have the fonts. See below for the selected options:

PDF Import Options.png

I have been doing this with dozens of files a day since early 2019 with no issues. It pulls it in as such: Art Before Embedding.png

However, in the last week, embed seems to expand the art out to the bleed box, media box, or another unseen box. You can see here how it now sits on the artboard. This one appears to be to the bleed, but it definitely increased the size of the art.

Art After Embedding.png

The only way around it I've found without flattening is to deselect import pages as links, but then I run the risk of not having the fonts. Furthermore, when I place a PDF and select Show Import Options, it defaults to Crop to: Bleed. I was hoping that if I changed that to Media that embed would work properly. And it does, for just that one image. The imported ones that I opened in Illustrator by right-clicking the file did not.

I've searched through preferences to see if I am missing anything, but I can't see where anything has changed. Does anyone have any ideas or solutions?

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 15, 2024 Jan 15, 2024

Hello, @Anubhav Majumder! Thank you for the respose. I am on v28 and macOS 12.5.1 (cannot update due to program incompatabilities), but this issue has fixed itself again! If you look at my response from the original account on July 5, 2022, you can see screen recordings of this issue. It is not currently a problem for me, but as I have stated before, it randomly crops back up with a program update, and then randomly fixes itself, even when I have not changed my processes whatsoever. Very bizarre

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Apologies for the delayed response. Is your issue resolved? If not, would you mind sharing more information about your workflow? Do you see this behavior with a specific file? Also, please share a small video for better understanding.

This information would help us assist you accordingly.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thank you for the response! This issue is not resolved, but it does not appear to happen with every file. I will record and upload a screenshot video the next time I see it occur. 

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ashutosh_Mishra It stopped happening a long time ago but it's happening again, this time on v26.3.1. I waited until I updated to respond again, but it didn't fix it. Here's two examples that I got with embedding and with copy/pasting a linked file. I typically use command codes, so bear with me as I struggle to find the copy/paste for visualization sake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue on the latest Illustrator release in Windows 11. Same file on latest Illustrator release on my M1 Max Mac does not have the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashutosh! This is the OP, but we changed account logins so it's a new username. I'm back after months, because it's happening to me again after updating to v28.0! This issue seems to return after updating to a more recent version and then just corrects itself eventually with no explanaton.

For reference, I am with a printing company and the files we receive are from clients so we usually have no way of knowing how they were originally created. The only fix I've found is to flatten the linked file, or to relink, making sure to select 'crop to media' and them embed. Even then it's hit or miss.

It's curious that this returns with each update and then just corrects itself... but this is the third time I've had this happen now. Same exact issue as I've detailed prior, and that Ben P is seeing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 13, 2024 Jan 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Tactive Prepress 2,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Would you mind sharing some more details, like the exact version of the OS/Illustrator, details about your workflow, a sample file (https://adobe.ly/47yjEZM), and a screen recording of the problem (https://adobe.ly/47C1I0l), so we can investigate this further?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2024 Jan 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, @Anubhav Majumder! Thank you for the respose. I am on v28 and macOS 12.5.1 (cannot update due to program incompatabilities), but this issue has fixed itself again! If you look at my response from the original account on July 5, 2022, you can see screen recordings of this issue. It is not currently a problem for me, but as I have stated before, it randomly crops back up with a program update, and then randomly fixes itself, even when I have not changed my processes whatsoever. Very bizarre. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2024 Jan 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Anubhav Majumder I was just notified that this was marked as solved by the old account that we do not have access to. Not sure how that happened, but please redact that correct answer tag if able. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are the trim marks exactly coming from? PLease share the steps to create them. Seems the size of the trim marks got smaller, and the art got bigger to match the original bounding box.

Can you do this without trim marks, I think this would simplify the issue. You also may have art outside.

While flattening toggle preview to see what happening. Only setting there of intererst seems to be clip complex regions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current file I am working with was originally created by the client in Indesign. Not having a working file I needed to change the font and lines to a specific colour. I place the PDF in Illustrator:

Ben__P_1-1689597881884.png

Then I click on embed and you can see how it gets bigger as it loses the crop marks:

Ben__P_2-1689597916298.png

Doing the exact same thing with same file on a Mac (M1 Max - Ventura) and it does not do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike! This is the OP, but we changed account logins so it's a new username. I'm back after months, because it's happening to me again after updating to v28.0! This issue seems to return after updating to a more recent version and then just corrects itself eventually with no explanaton.

For reference, I am with a printing company and the files we receive are from clients so we usually have no way of knowing how they were originally created. The only fix I've found is to flatten the linked file, or to relink, making sure to select 'crop to media' and them embed. Even then it's hit or miss.

It's curious that this returns with each update and then just corrects itself... but this is the third time I've had this happen now. Same exact issue as I've detailed prior, and that Ben P is seeing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines