• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Envelope Distort not working properly (Illustrator CC 2018 22.0.0 64 bit)

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am trying Envelope Distort > Make with top object using a shape I modified out of a rectangle and some text  I placed the image in front and both the taxt and shape are in the same layer. Any other standard shape works fine.

Below you can find a picture of the issue, top part is the shape and the text before the Envelope Distort and below you can see what happens when applied.

capture.JPG

Thanks in advanced for any help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello:

The object has to be on Top to make it happen.

Screen Shot 2017-10-24 at 15.49.18.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fill becomes the type or the bottom object!

hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks chanaart​!

Object is on top, as a matter of fact the feature works with any standard shape (Rectangles, circles, stars, etc) but if I try a modified shape or a shape of my own, it does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The shape can be modified wit the direct section tool however you cannot create a fill. You will need to do another layer and make it as an independent shape!Screen Shot 2017-10-24 at 16.30.31.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The envelope has an annoying tendency to distort anything too close to the edge of the shape when angles are involved. Try this:

1. Outline your text.
  2. Draw a box with a bit of padding around the text. The box should have a thin stroke but no fill and you'll want at least .25" of white space around the text.
  3. Expand the box to a shape.
  4. Direct select all points in the outlined text and the newly expanded box, then Merge them using Pathfinder.
  5. Make sure the shape you want to fit your text into is on the top, then select both the shape and newly merged text/box, and click Envelope Distort > Make with Top Object.

Now the edges of the text don't get distorted at all because the box is protecting them! You can expand everything again then just delete the box and your text stays in tact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines