• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Eraser tool makes a shape instead of erasing?

Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The eraser tool doesn't work on *one* file. It makes a shape with an outline instead (screenshot attached).
I can't attach the file because "The attachment's bu_dr_gm_boerboel-002.ai content type (application/postscript) does not match its file extension" so I'm thinking that might have something to do with it.

I haven't changed anything as far as how I save .ai files (screenshot attached).

I've checked it with other files, the most recent one I made before this one and older ones. Also I updated illustrator to the latest version and restarted the machine.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

When I use the eraser on your art with nothing selected, I get the same results that you are showing. 

If I select the black shape, and then use the eraser, it erases only the black. 

You are seeing the outline in the first instance becasue the orange shape being erased has a black stroke applied to it.

Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 12.14.10 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the eraser tool works like a brush (with a shape) to cut through vectors. Watch this tutorial:

https://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-use-the-eraser-tool-in-illustrator--cms-39644

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the Eraser tool, it shouldn't look like shown in your screenshot if the black paths are plain filled objects.

To have a look at it, you may share the Illustrator file via Google Drive, Creative Cloud storage or any other file sharing service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded and opened your Illustrator file. I selected the "man-dog" shape:

Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 8.38.56 PM.png

Then I selected the Eraser tool and dragged across the artwork. This is the way the Eraser is supposed to work:

Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 8.39.13 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is, as you see from the screenshot I shared, and the one below, absolutely NOT how this tool is functioning for me.

Please provide a little more information so I can continue troubleshooting the problem.

What version of Illustrator are you using, and what OS/version.

**If anyone with higher level skills in Illustrator has any helpful input, I will be most appreciative.**

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use the eraser on your art with nothing selected, I get the same results that you are showing. 

If I select the black shape, and then use the eraser, it erases only the black. 

You are seeing the outline in the first instance becasue the orange shape being erased has a black stroke applied to it.

Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 12.14.10 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!
I have been using illustrator for several years (not very well) but I have never managed to make this mistake before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

**If anyone with higher level skills in Illustrator has any helpful input, I will be most appreciative.**

By @jeannehilary

Steve is one of the most proficient contributors to this forum. You won't get better responses when trying to insult people here.

Please tell us what exactly you are doing that leads to your result.

Make a video if you cannot describe it.

But maybe you could also: reboot your computer and reset the Illustrator preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no intention to insult anyone; my comment referred only to the content of the posts which did not address the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is no intention to insult anyone; my comment referred only to the content of the posts which did not address the problem.

By @jeannehilary

Maybe next time you shoul read more closely before complaining because Steve described exactly the same thing that you now marked as the correct answer: that you have to select the object you want to erase on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines