Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error loading plugins/ Missing Plugins while launching Illustrator on macOS

New Here ,
May 30, 2012 May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just purchased Adobe Creative Cloud and after saving a project on Adobe Illustrator CS6, I tried to open the program again and an error message is coming up, "Missing required plugins. PDF format.aip."

I checked the plugin folder and it is in there, yet I cannot open Illustrator.  The other Adobe programs work, it is just Illustrator.

Does anyone know how to fix this so I can open Illustrator and get to work.  Thanks so much!

Also, I have an iMac.  Thanks.

-Phil

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

The path to this plugin is at the following

/Applications/Adobe Illustrator 2021/Adobe Illustrator.app/Contents/Required/Plug-ins/Extensions

To show the Contents folder, right-click on Adobe Illustrator.app and choose "Show Package Content"

P.S.:- I have Illustrator 25.0.1 on a MAC 10.14.6 and it works just fine. 

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Hi there,

We are sorry about the trouble. We have consolidated the most popular solutions that help in fixing this issue. I would request you to please try the steps mentioned in this help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/plugin-missing-issue.html) and let us know how it goes.

Please feel free to reach out if you still need assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks & Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 07, 2022 Aug 07, 2022

Manan Joshi..... August 2022 and the BNPlugin.aip continues to be a problem.  Thank you for this!  I tried the other solutions recommended by the Adobe professional and they didn't work.

Your instructions worked.  I wasn't able to "right-click" but I followed your path using the "Go > To Folder" menu, and changed Adobe Illustrator 2021 to 2022, and was able to find the BNPlugin.aip file.  I don't know what that plug in does (other than to cause issues) but I deleted it and all seems to be working

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 116 Replies 116
Advocate ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restart Illustrator, then try moving your file to a different folder and reopen it. Does that work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nop it doesn't work :'( 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Clementine,

Sorry to hear about this. Looks like you were using some plugins with previous version, which are not compatible with the current one. 

Please try installing version 2019 and check if that opens the file? If the file opens there, then please reach out to the plugin manufacturer for the version that is compatible with the latest release.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I try it and it doesn't work too now with 2019 
they said "Unable to read this file because an error occurred"

i really don't understand because yesterday i work on this with no problem since i have Catalina and updated Illustrator nothing work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh no! Could you please share a sample file with us? We can try opening it at our end. 

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm having the same problem.  I have an existing file that won't open in either 2020 or 2019.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also in Windows and it's not working please share suggestions for Windows, not for only Mac,
Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Sorry to hear about this error. This has been reported by a few other users as well and we are still investigating this. Please try following these steps and let us know how it goes.

Go to System Preferences > Full Disk Access > Make sure the Checkbox in front of Illustrator is checked.

Plugin error while opening files.png

Once done, quit Illustrator and relaunch it again and you should be able to open the files.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! Tried a load of other solutions with no luck. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the steps for Windows 10? I'm having the same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I'm on a Mac and have no knowledge of Windows 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't work for me. Pls help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti! Thank you so much! This did the trick! I too upgraded to Catalina a few days ago and had some Ai files not open in Ai with the message "Could not read the file because an error has occurred.". Was a bit scary but after following your tip to enable full disk access all is back to normal. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me too! Many thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been having this issue with the latest CC illustrator and OS Catalina when trying to place any file into an empty project. When I go to look in the full disk access folder, I see photoshop and indesign but no Illustrator on the list!!! Please help. I was on chat with adobe support for 5 hours the other day and they failed to solve any issue for me (there are multiple).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2019 Dec 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also getting this error on Mac OS Mojave now. Everything was working fine until last night. What's going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved. This turned out to be corrupted linked PNGs for me. Once I identified the PNGs and replaced them, I was able to open the AI files and resume work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also in Windows and it's not working please share suggestion Windows not for only Mac,
Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. I'm interested in the solution for PNGs that are saying unreadable by illustrator in Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open them in Photoshop and Save again. You might need to covert them to 8bit/Channel or whatever is wrong with them.

There are many flavours of PNG and Illustrator is not able to handle them all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 31, 2021 Dec 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Volunteer5CC0,

Sorry about the trouble. Would it be possible for you to share those PNGs files that are unreadable in Illustrator? We are currently collecting such images to investigate and create a fix for it. Please share the download link here or via DM of those PNGs. That would be really helpful for us.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to the new Illustrator it opens with the following error: 

Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 6.32.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 6.34.22 AM.png

Once open I get an endless loading circle. 

Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 6.35.01 AM.png

If I open a file it crashes and quits. 

Mac Pro (late 2013), 3.7 ghz, 64 gb ram

OSX 10.14

any help appreciated!

Ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Ive tried disabling the plugin (which makes illustrator crash). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you migrate the preferences when updating?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to my knowledge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines