Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

export pdf from illustrator, open pdf in acrobat, export png always white bg

Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've exported an illustration from illustrator to pdf with a transparent background. It worked, and in acrobat it also has a transparent background. But when I try to export it as a png, it always gets a white background. it drives me mad 🙂 there is also no option apparently in Acrobat to export with transparency. Can anyone help me please? 🙂 

Here's a screenshot of my pdf-file in acrobat pro: you can see the transparent bg. 

picard_0-1671138177041.png

Then I export as png: 

and it get's this white bg: 

picard_1-1671138259503.png

When I import the original pdf to photoshop, it again has the transparency, and it exports great as a transparent pdf. so the issue should be in Acrobat. 

Thanks in advance!! I've attached the file as an example.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, ok, i thought maybe it has something to do with my adobe illustrator export. I've posted it there as well now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of exporting to PNG from Acrobat, just open the PDF in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks! the problem is that i have 60+ pages of pngs in acrobat and want to export them simply as png. if I open it in photoshop, I have to automate/batch export which is too complicated for my workflow (it takes much longer). as it is transparent and acrobat can export pngs, I thought there MUST be a way to just simply export which is one click instead of a complicated batch automation export

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I'm missing something - why dont you just export the original Illustrator file as a PNG directly from Illustrator instead of going through another application?

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1671142853747.png

kevinstohlmeyer_1-1671142900370.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ha, that's a good question - i do an automation with changing words in the file with variables fed by an excel file. When I batch-export, ai always uses the name of the artboard when saving the different files, so it overwrites the same file over and over again. the only way to batch export it correctly is by saving the file (not exporting), and the only filetype to save it (besides ai etc.) is pdf. so i have 60+ pdfs, merge them in one and want to export them as pngs, but that's not working, because of the transparency issue 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright then, try this:

Open the 60+-page PDF in Illustrator. Use Export for screens, all artboards, PNG...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey John, thanks! It's the best solution yet. Although I have to create 12 files, because the artboard is only capable of hosting 5 files (because of their sizes) at a time, but it's an acceptable workaround. Thanks for the help!

But still, it bothers me that I can't export transparent pngs out of acrobat - then I would just need to do one click, I don't know what's the problem there ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines