• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting a design in different sizes within set parameters.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking to export some artwork in different sizes for production purposes.

The artboard would stay the same size as it has registration marks on but there would need to be a range of sizes exported by height or width of the design element itself and exported as seperate files.

I was thinking a solution to this could be to drop the design into a symbol off the artboard and have them sized to the parameters on each artboard then export them but wondering if there is a better solution to this?

Ideally it'd be great to have the element selected in the original document and export it on the template file (with the reg marks) in the various sizes. I need to export the design plain in different format at the same time so doing in the base file would speed things up.

There is some written information needed on each artboard as an identifier, would it be possible to have a prompt to enter this information on all artboards or is using a symbol again the best option to apply to each?

Many thanks, 

Russell

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you show a screenshot?

Exporting at different sizes: Export for screens. If you have different PDF presets, you can set this up and also the different formats.

But this doesn't take text changes into account.

Those could be done with Variables. And then create an action for the export and run it as a batch. But then you cannot have different sizes unless you write a script that does the resizing.

So maybe the solution of placing your artwork multiple times into another file could do that. But That doesn't have the benefit of automation. So how often would you need this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response Monika, I'll put together a file and attach a screenshot.

The sizing would need to be set to a max parameter of width/height and then a few different parameter presents. (eg max 300mm width/height, 310mm width/height, 320 width/height) and exporting a different version of the artboard. The text stays the same on each, changing for different designs but not the size variables. The problem is that the registration marks need to stay in the same size/position and it's only the main object that needs resizing. It's something that would be needed 10 - 30 times a day roughly.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've attached a file to Kurt's response below, hopefully it helps demonstrate what I'm looking for from the script(s).

Thanks again for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've set up similar workflows quite often, but since there may be (a lot of) unknown conditions it's usually required to first get and inspect at least a couple of sample Illustrator files with detailed and precise instructions about the desired results. So, if you want to provide that I will take a look at them.

Apart from that, there is a commercial Illustrator extension that may or may not suit your needs. You can have a look here:

https://www.logopackage.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response Kurt and thank you for offering to take a look for me.

I've put together a file with notes to the left of the artboards that hopefully should help explain but let me know if anything is still unclear.

The commercial extension you shared might be a better way to solve the second export and replace my method for my svg export if there isn't another way so thank you for highlighting this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Appologies for the additional message. 

With the second style of export I've just realised there doesn't need to be any border/padding, so looking to export the selected object as a pdf in the range of size parameters.

Do you think any of what I'm looking for is possible in illustrator with scripts?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines