• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting as DXF - Extra lines being added, curves coming out jagged

Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with a laser engraver/cutter who I have been able to export vector graphics as DXF files, which they have been able to open up and cut as supplied, multiple times before.

This time, I sent them a DXF file, saved exactly as before, however they opend it up and some of the curves have become jagged and extra lines and anchor points, and so confuses the CAD software (I don't know what software they use).

Included is the PDF file with the original vector artwork (page 2 is the one in question), and a screen shot of the resulting DXF (Community won't accept uploading the DXF file itself); note the "Q" and "POT" lettering where the problem persists.

Long story short, is that we've done nothing different in our process; no settings were changed etc. and we're now having to do more work to correct it - Any ideas?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @MartinBarnesCreative  were you able to find the solution to this problem? I have the exact same problem. jagged lines for text that has been outlined.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about the trouble. Could you please share a few more details like:

• OS and version of Illustrtaor
  • Are you working on an M1-based Mac machine?
  • Does this issue happen while working on a specific document?
  • Could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link.
  • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates, or web extensions installed recently.
  • Does turning off “GPU Performance” from preferences ( ctrl+ k/ cmd + k > Performance > Uncheck GPU Performance) helps to resolve the issue?
    anshulsaini_0-1630087066708.png
  • System specification
  • Are you using an external monitor(s)? If yes, with which port and cable combination it is connected.
  • Are you using any external GPU?
  • A small video demonstrating the issue could be really helpful.
  • Does resetting Illustrator Preferences (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html) help to resolve the issue?
    Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with default settings. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. Location is mentioned in the article.

We are here to help. Just need more information.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that worked for me.  thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exporting DXF files can be really tricky. Different industry-specific applications that create jobs for laser cutters, routing tables, etc can be finnicky at importing DXF files. The DXF files need to be created with the right kinds of settings. Some applications like EnRoute have preference settings such as "Merge Contours" that can help. Another possible solution: using other export file formats such as EPS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using EPS, make sure to export EPS 3.

The other EPS settings export EPS with an embedded AI file and that can cause the CAD devcies to not recognize the file properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

EPS import compatibility will vary from one application to the next. Generally speaking, saving down to early versions like v3.0 or v8.0 will work better. The farther back in time an art file is saved down also means breaking newer features and effects in Illustrator. Most live Illustrator-based effects need to be flattened/expanded. It's also best to convert any live text objects to outlines. When exporting art for routing table use I tend to give all objects flat uniform fills with no outlines strokes, that way the application is only importing the raw shape (and not multiple copies of it or the sliced into a bunch of pieces due to a gradient fill being misinterpreted). I also never include an attached TIFF header image with an exported EPS file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines