• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting print logo package and both uncoated and coated Pantone colours are exporting almost grey?

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently working on a client branding project. My document is CMYK and I have chosen Uncoated and Coated Pantone colours to use. These are as follows:

-7688 C, -2191 U

-3015 C, -2196 U

-7717 C, -321 U

-7465 C, -2398 U

I use the Logo Package to export and the Pantone coloured artboards are exporting as PDFs as AI files. Once I export, these two formats for all Pantone coloured artboard are EXTREMELY desaturated... almost grey. When I open the PDF fully, it stays desaturated. When I open the AI file it loads in Illustrator the colour it's meant to be. Images below...

If anyone could help here - that would be awesome! Thanks!

Pre-Export Artboard.pngPost-Export PDF.png

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is your color management set up?

Do you use these colors as spot? Or as process?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I check this? I'm still new to the print terminology - as I usually only export for digital purposes. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's in Illustrator > Color settings.

This is a rough overview of what color management does. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/using/setting-color-management.html It barely touches the surface, but it's a start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like that's a Photoshop article - not Illustrator. There's also no 'Colour settings' under the 'Illustrator' tab. (I've searched it and can't see it under any tab. Weird 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes. Color management is universal. It even works the same outside the Adobe Cloud.

And sorry, the Color settings are in Edit > Color settings. It might also matter how you set up the monitor profile in the system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you use to view the pdf?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh strange! When I view it in Apple's 'Preview' it's that grey colour. But when I view it in Adobe Acrobat it's the brighter colours (what it's supposed to be). Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is because Preview supports a limited set of PDF features. Overprint Preview is not supported in Preview..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So does it matter that the platform 'Preview' and the actual previews of both the PDF and AI files are undersaturated? Will signwriter/printers have any issues with this?

I've exported previous client logos in Pantone before and never had this issue, so just not sure what I've done different here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as they use the specific Pantone inks mix for the color, the preview does not matter, they will mix the ink and use that.

When they use a CMYK simulation, I would not use a Pantone color but give them CMYK percentages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines