• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File exporting PNG much larger than artboard size.

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created an .ai file with the pixel dimension of 6075 x 4875 (20" x 16"). When exporting, my file size is 25313 x 20313.

I have tried:

Changing the ppi to 72 (Even though that won't work for my overall resolution because I'm printing a physical product.)

Making sure the "Use Artboard" box is checked.

Making sure my X and Y alignments are at an even integer.

Double checking that everything is on the artboard.

Changing my bleeds to zero.

NONE of these things are working! HELP!

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Raster image export from Illustrator is doable, but short on control.

If you have Photoshop:

1. In Illustrator, Save a copy of the Illustrator file as PDF.
  2. In Photoshop, set up a new, blank canvas at exactly the size and resolution required for your output.
  3. Choose File > Place Embedded and select the PDF.
  4. Scale and position the content appropriately, then tap the Enter key.
  5. Save As... png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just import a png file into PSD and resize image size keeping ppi. Not sure why PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just import a png file into PSD and resize image size keeping ppi. Not sure why PDF?

By @SandraSchultz

Rasterizing a vector file will give you better quality then resampling a PNG. Photoshop does a better job  with antialiasing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For print work do not, repeat NOT set a design size in pixels. This works only when resolution is 72 ppi, because AI doesn't actually work in pixels at all; it thinks a pixel is a point (1/72 in). 

So, work out the required design size in inches (or mm) and work from there. Then, exported raster graphics should have more or less the expected size in pixels. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the ppi to 72 (Even though that won't work for my overall resolution because I'm printing a physical product.)

By @Jolynn5E1B

I don't understand that argument. If the pixel dimensions for the print should be 6075 x 4875 pixels and you deliver exactly that, the resolution of your file is irrelevant. It's just metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your goal is to create a document 6075 x 4875, and you are in pixel measurement units, you need to export as 72ppi to give you a file that pixel size. Ignore the 72ppi... it's irrelevant here as it's the amount of pixels that's important for print. If it concerns you, simply open the image in Photoshop and change the resolution in Image > Image Size size to 300ppi without Resampling checked, and resave. Your file will still be 6075 x 4875, nothing has changed at all except the resolution flag that's in the header of the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much.  I get it. 300ppi and only 6075 pixels is the same as 72ppi with 6075 pixels.  6075=6075.  What a concept.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to what everyone else is saying:

I've created an .ai file with the pixel dimension of 6075 x 4875 (20" x 16").

By @Jolynn5E1B

If you created an AI file with those pixel dimensions, it would be 84" x 68", not 20" x 16".

If you have a desired physical size/PPI, work from that -- not the pixel dimensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Group the content you wanted and export them from the assets pannel as PNG..

it worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

png options- Screen (72 ppi), Anti-aliasing Art Optimized (Supersampling).

If you are exporting an image 1080x1080 Px at 72 PPI, result will be 1080x1080 Pixels, but if you export the similar image with 300 PPI, dimensions of end result will be 4501x4500 Pixels. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you want to export an image at the pixel dimensions you set up with the artboard, you need to export it at 72 ppi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines