• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File Not Found Error - Missing files

Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday and today I was saving files for production and after about an hour the files and their folder completely dissapear! I didn't delete them. When I try to Open Recent Files I get the error message File Does Not Exit. The file I saved last is still open on my screen but doesnt exist as a saved file anymore, along with all the other files before it. If I recreate the missing folder, it knows to save it there, but if I don't it defaults to my documents folder. Is there a way to fix this?! Haaalp!

Yes, I recently updated Illustrator and aquired the Pantone Connect Plugin. Is there a bug? Is there a fix?!

TOPICS
Bug , Third party plugins

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Saving to a server is risky in Illustrator. It might work for some people, but not for others.

Also check if file names contain special characters (this includes folder names)

And also in the Illustrator preferences you might want to turn off "Save in background"

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

I discontinued using "." in my file that I saved on our server. I also performed (3) Adobe Illustrator Updates (Bug Fixes). The problem appears to be reseolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where were you saving them local drive, network, cloud? Do you have more than one account for the cloud? Did you check your trash there are key commands on both OS which put into trash, happened to me last week, and I have been doing this for a long time.

File >> save as and save the file on your screen and turn off pdf compatible, to your local hard drive for the best chance. Once safely saved restart and ensure your Adobe Cloud app is up and running.

Please show a relevant screenshot to get the best help, we can see if you have an asterisk after your file name  and more without asking many many questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply. I was saving the files as PDFs (high quality print) on my company's server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saving to a server is risky in Illustrator. It might work for some people, but not for others.

Also check if file names contain special characters (this includes folder names)

And also in the Illustrator preferences you might want to turn off "Save in background"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to save to our server because others need to access the files, but I could save them to the hard drive and move them to the server later. I was also including "." in the file name, which I only recently started doing, but will stop.

If I uncheck "Save in Background" or "export in Background" Can you tell me what this does?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A point in the filename is certainly not a good idea.

"Save in background" allows you to continue working while Illustrator saves the file. But when the alternative is that your file might get lost, then perhaps it's worthwhile waiting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discontinued using "." in my file that I saved on our server. I also performed (3) Adobe Illustrator Updates (Bug Fixes). The problem appears to be reseolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @valerie27145750symw,

Glad to hear that you were able to resolve the problem, and thanks for sharing the solution here. While you can use Illustrator files from networks and removable media, you can compromise the performance and reliability of the application. This is why we recommend working on files from a local drive, as suggested by Monika. You may learn more about this here: (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/illustrator-support-networks-removable-media.html).

Feel free to reach out if you have more questions or need assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines