• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Files saved using Area Type Tool are saved as separate layers for each line and path

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't recall this happening before so I think it is a new bug. I have the latest version of Adobe Illustrator 27.5 and am running on both Windows 11 and MacBook Pro computers. I create an oval path and then select it with the Area Type Tool. I add the text and formatting and then save the file. The next time I open the file, the path and each line of text within the path are saved as new objects in the layers panel rather than one single object. The picture shows an example object I created after I reopened this document so you can see the difference in the layers pallette between what an object should look like and what is actually happening upon save.

Screenshot 2023-05-17 133939.pngScreenshot 2023-05-17 134033.png

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

UPDATE: I created a completely new file and have been unable to duplicate the saving issue. I saved one copy to my desktop - no issues. I saved another copy to my Dropbox - still no issues. I have to assume then that there must be something wrong with the old "templates."

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

SOLUTION: I finally was able to test a few different processes and this is the one that solved my issue. 1. Open the old file. 2. Immediately used Save As to save to newest version of Illustrator. 3. Add my text area objects. 4. Save.

Now when I close and reopen those files, all objects are still within their text areas and not broken up. Thank you to those who helped point me in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you're seeing in the Layers palette isn't really lines of text on a bunch of different layers. That's just the list of objects (or its hierarchy) within the "translated text" layer. The individual objects can be locked and/or hidden just like objects on other layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but you are incorrect. My "translated text" layer holds all of the text for the speech bubbles on this comic page. I've been doing this for a few years now and that is not how this layer is supposed to look after saving a text area, which is essentially a paragraph of text. When you create a paragraph of text, you don't expect each line of the paragraph to be saved as separate objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, we were talking about different things. Area type objects normally shouldn't break apart into what amounts to a bunch of separate point text objects in the process of just saving a file. If the problem only just started happening a few days ago that might point to a software update of some kind contributing to the problem. Still, there is a number of trouble shooting questions to ask.

What is the font format of the typeface you're using? It is in OpenType format? I'm just asking since Postscript Type 1 fonts are no longer supported in Adobe's applications. Also, some fonts do not do well hopping across platforms between OSX and Windows. Some of the system fonts in OSX do not work at all on Windows. TrueType fonts aren't always cross platform compatible. Postscript Type 1 fonts are not cross platform compatible at all.

Are you saving the artwork in the current version of Illustrator? Is the artwork being saved as an AI file or PDF? It's possible when saving down to earlier "legacy" versions of Illustrator that type objects will be affected. Certain newer font formats, like OpenType Variable or OpenType-SVG, are supported only so many versions back in time.

Is the artwork being saved on your computer's internal disc? Monika's suggestion of turning off "Save in Background" might be a good idea, especially if the art file is being accessed across a network share or via online "cloud" storage.

BTW, Astute Graphics has a plugin called Vector First Aid that can repair area text objects broken into separate lines or even separate letters. The function is there as a means of re-building artwork from things like imported PDF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bobby,

I've turned off "Save in Background" but it isn't fixing the issue.

Answers to your other questions:

• Open Type Font used for years on our comics
  • Using latest version of Illustrator although Illustrator original file is a few years old. Saving in latest version of Illustrator as .ai not .pdf.
  • I am using online storage (Dropbox) but am working on local copy. Haven't had issues with this before.

Thanks for the plugin recommendation. I've installed the plugin and it did fix my primary issue. Now I need to ask my boss if he'll pay for the subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the problem you're having just occuring with this one file? Or is it happening to any new documents you're saving in Illustrator? If it's the latter I'd at least try resetting Illustrator's Preferences or even reinstalling the application. In regards to Vector First Aid, the plugin is definitely very handy. The subscription is a bit pricey, but you'll get what is argubably the best collection of Illustrator plugins on the market. They're pretty amazing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll need to try it on a blank file to confirm it is will all documents and not just the ones I'm working on. I'm working on entering translated text (Spanish) into "templates" I've created from the English comic pages--so hundreds of files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@lisam63698809  a écrit :
  • Using latest version of Illustrator although Illustrator original file is a few years old. Saving in latest version of Illustrator as .ai not .pdf.

So you are using "Save as" and not just saving the file?

So you are saving into a Dropbox. Does this also happen when you save on the desktop and not the synchronized folder? Synchronized folders are known to be ruining files as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: I created a completely new file and have been unable to duplicate the saving issue. I saved one copy to my desktop - no issues. I saved another copy to my Dropbox - still no issues. I have to assume then that there must be something wrong with the old "templates."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of file exactly do you save?

Is "Save in Background" turned off in the preferences? This option might cause your kind of issue. Note: turning off "Save in background" will not repair the file. It will only improve it for future saving

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've always used "Save in Background" and saving hasn't been a problem until this last week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't want to test the options, then we can't help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika, thank you for your suggestion. I tried turning it off and the problem is still occurring. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On this page, it is even worse! It separated some of the words into individual letters. I've turned on show "hidden characters" so that you can see it has added a bunch of extra stuff that doesn't belong there.

Screenshot 2023-05-19 155935.pngScreenshot 2023-05-19 155949.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is really weird. The green hash symbols are normally hidden characters (Type>Show/Hide Hidden Characters). But they show how the lines are broken apart in multiple ways. I usually see that kind of thing when I try placing a PDF file that was not generated by Adobe Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

SOLUTION: I finally was able to test a few different processes and this is the one that solved my issue. 1. Open the old file. 2. Immediately used Save As to save to newest version of Illustrator. 3. Add my text area objects. 4. Save.

Now when I close and reopen those files, all objects are still within their text areas and not broken up. Thank you to those who helped point me in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines