• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fix wrong font names bug in Illustrator Search & replace window

Participant ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed a Frutiger LT Pro font family and now there is a strange bug in the font search and replace window (which is anyway so horrible to work with). The names of the different fonts get displayed right in the font panel.

But they get absolutely mixed up in the font search and replace window (e.g. Frutiger LT Pro 45 Light Bold (!)) which should be Frutiger LT Pro 65 bold. Any idea how to fix that?

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first thought is to purge your font caches. Then  your Illustrator pref if that doesn't help. What System are you running and are you using a font manager other than Font Book?

Does the same thing occur in InDesign? or any other app?

Where did you purchase your fonts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm quite sure it is an Illustrator bug. 
It's only related to Illustrator and limited only to the search and replace functionality, as you can see in the pictures. Fonts are from Linotype, system is Monterey and font manager is from Lynotype, too. I purged all caches and prefs with no change. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @uesix this seems to be a bug on your specific system.

I also have Monterey and Illustrator 2023 on Mac and do not experience the same issue when searching.

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1675290954292.png

You should try resetting your Illustrator preferences (Preferences/General) as Brad @ Roaring Mouse suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I wrote I did reset prefs and it will only appear with Frutiger(!no other font) and it will only appear in "search and replace" window and not in font search. @kevin stohlmeyer I mean it's what I wrote, so it does not help to just answer something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @uesix - I missed that you responded to Brad - no need to be rude. I have the same font and in my Find/Replace Frutiger shows the same way.

The Linotype site shows this as the full name of the font.

kevinstohlmeyer_1-1675345280502.png

What you are seeing in the font panel is a cascade view which shows the Parent font name at the top "Frutiger Pro" and the variables listed below "45 Light" etc. - so they appear to start with the number.

kevinstohlmeyer_2-1675345457436.png

In the Find/Replace the fonts are individually listed so it shows the entire font name so each font has the Parent and the varible thereby showing "Frutiger Pro 45 Light"

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1675345211544.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kevin stohlmeyerO.k. you did not understand the issue. Maybe it's not about what's working on your machine with some fonts. All of my fonts are working properly, but one.

In the Find/Replace panel the font "Frutiger LT Pro 65 Bold" gets named "Frutiger LT Pro 45 Light Bold" or "Frutiger LT Pro 75 Black" gets "Frutiger LT Pro 55 Roman Bold".

If you change a font to "Frutiger LT Pro 55 Roman Bold" it will be "Frutiger LT Pro 75 Black" in the ordynary font field while editing your fonts.

It is just a matter of replacing this specfic font. But: It's only an issue with Illustrator. Replacing the font in Indesign works as expectted. So it is very probaly an Illustrator bug (as there are many).

And - as I wrote - it's only about the Frutiger Pro not the Frutiger Std.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you already rebuilt the font caches?

Illustrator is very peculiar about fonts. If a font is not 150% OK, then Illustrator will freak out.

Do you use font maangement?

Where did you get that font? Is it possible to download it again and replace it on your system? Fonts can get corrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm, is it common to not read issues? As I wrote, I purged als caches I bought the font from Linotype, I downloaded it many times, I asked Linotype to check it. I used they're own font manager AND tried to install it as a system font, too.

The font works in all other programs.

It is a buggy Find/Replace panel, which has never (really never) been updated or been improved since it's introduction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you had it in the font manager and in the system? Twice? Did you reset the caches after cleaning that up? Did you completely turn off the font manager? Illustrator has a lot of issues with font managers.

Please contact Customer Care, so they can take a look into your system.

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not expect such a thread ...

So you had it in the font manager and in the system? Twice?

This would sound kind of stupid, I think. So no, I did not.

Contact customer care with contact form? Did you ever contact customer care yourself on other issues than financial ones? You're great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a chat window in the bottom right of the browser window. You need to be logged in and you need to enable popup windows to see it.

And since nobody mentioned it yet: this is a public forum. Unless somebody is tagged as "staff", they are not staff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Linotype itself confirmed the bug with the font, but did not clearify which side was the responible for this bug. As it's one their most selled fonts, I still guess it's an Illustrator issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines