Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flickering cursor + menus won't open in Illustrator & Photoshop CC 2018

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When I open the new Illustrator and Photoshop CC 2018 they both have a constant flickering cursor and the menus are unselectable. So it is not possible to work in.

After a bit of research I found that removing 2 extensions from Photoshop solves this problem. As I show in this YouTube video I made yesterday: Photoshop CC 2018 Flickering cursor/menus not opening Problem Fix - YouTube

In Illustrator the problem is solved when I remove this file: icudtl.dat from this folder: E:\Programma's\Adobe CC\Adobe Illustrator CC 2018\Support Files\Contents\Windows\CEPHtmlEngine as I read here: Cursor flickers and deselects menues
But this "solution" makes the start screen where you can select recent files and page sizes disappear.

I hope somebody has a real solution (and/or explanation) that fixes the problem without deleting essential parts of the applications?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Hi Yaroons,

I would request you to please Contact Customer Care team. I will be able to check issue real-time.

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

This solution (with removing icudtl.dat) also helps in Illustator CC 2021! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Yaroons,

Looks like you are using Windows System, please make sure that your system does not have an adware named "Web Companion" by LAVASOFT

Please go to programs and features and check for this "Web Companion" by LAVASOFT, if it is there please close all your applications and uninstall it.

Also, try resetting preferences manually

Go to C:\Users\sbali\AppData\Roaming\Adobe and delete Adobe Illustrator 22 Settings and Adobe Illustrator folders

Launch Illustrator from Creative Cloud.

If you have any further query please feel free to update the discussion.

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

Unfortunately I have no Lavasoft software on my PC. I had already checked that, dubbelchecked it now.

I have some additional info though. The same problem occurs in all the apps I installed (Photoshop, Indesign and Illustrator) and seems to have something to do with the startmenu screen. If I remove this file icudtl.dat the startmenu screen is gone and the problems too.

I hope that might point you in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Yaroons,

I would request you to please Contact Customer Care team. I will be able to check issue real-time.

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution (with removing icudtl.dat) also helps in Illustator CC 2021! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This helpt! Thanks!

with removing icudtl.dat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines