• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

fonts not appearing in illustrator after installing

Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2011 Sep 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am installing fonts in windows 7 by right clicking on the file and clicking install.  After successfully installing the fonts, they aren't showing up in illustrator (or photoshop).  I checked my windows font folder and the new fonts are indeed there.  The newly installed fonts do work in other programs like Office.  I am using CS3.  Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember fonts update inmediatly in Illustrator/photoshop as soon as you install it (at least in CS5 they do) but I'm unsure in CS3

Have you tried restarting Illustrator and see if the fonts are there? Also, could there be a chance that the fonts are corrupted or not supported by your version of Illustrator?

Just some thoughts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They usually update immediately for me, but they aren't anymore.  I tried restarting illustrator and even my computer, but still no luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 30, 2011 Sep 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you actualyl copied the fonts to the directory? This might be a permissions issue with externally linked fonts...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2011 Sep 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the fonts are actually in the c:\windows\fonts\ directory and not just linked there.  I browsed to the c:\program files\common files\adobe\fonts\ folder and it was empty.  I copied some fonts there and afterwards they appeared in illustrator.  This suppose this is a workaround, but not a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 03, 2011 Oct 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Deleting 'IllustratorFnt.lst' file from illustrator preferences and then launch Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2011 Oct 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked for updates and there was one available for acrobat 8 professional.  After I installed that and relaunched illustrator, the fonts were there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will Adobe finally fix the crappy font situation in all its app? Adobe's akward turn on / off cloud fonts are simply way to unrelieable and inconsistent for any professional work enviroment. Adobe listen, your fonts DONT WORK!!!!!!!

It happens to often now that I open documents and the fonts are not found. This is becoming a real issue for my workflow. It happened in the past for third party system fonts, but now some of my Adobe fonts don't even show up in illustrator anymore. This is becoming a real workflow killer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem for some time now, fonts like Bebas Neue and Helvetica are not recognized at all when I open a file made by some other user, even though we have the same fonts installed. It's getting ridiculous and frustrating. I would understand if it was a problem with third party fonts or something like that, but even google and adobe fonts are not recognized often...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2022 Feb 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is from 2011.

Please create a new one.

Tell us your version and system. Aso: are you using font management? Are there any duplicate fonts?

What kind of file are you opening? an AI file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening for me too.  Why bother create a new question for the same problem if it hasn't been fixed?

It's better to continue the old one for a number of reasons:

- if it's the same issue and it hasn't been fixed, it shows up the true age of the issue.  Creating a new post here merely makes it look like it's a recent problem when actually it's years old.

- To help us users troubleshoot and fix problems, it's better to have one thread about an issue, and then all the information goes into that thread.  It provides a single location for people to discuss the symptoms, behaviours, and possible fixes / workarounds.

- older threads are ranked higher by google and makes it easier for other people to find them.

- If an old issue hasn't hasn't been fixed, there's absolutely no reason why a new thread would have any more success.

So hope no one minds me posting here that I'm stuck with this same problem too.  Currently going through some workarounds, trying to get a specific company font to load and it's obstinately refusing.

Regards, aTomician

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also trying to get a font to show up in the Illustrator fonts list.  This is a TTF TrueType Font file.  It works fine in InDesign, Photoshop and Premiere Pro.  Also works fine in other non Adobe programs: word, outlook, excel.

However it does not show up on Illustrator fonts.  I have searched for it and manually scanned through the entries too.

Just tried the things on here:

- Have right clicked on font file and "installed for all users" and also just "install"

- Deleted a couple of font related .lst files

- Copied the font to c:\program files\common files\adobe\fonts\

- on latest version of Illy so can't update any further.

Not sure what to do next or why Illustrator is struggling on a fairly standard operation?

Regards, aTomician

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the exact same problem, tried to convert my TTF font and doesn't work too. Anyone can help ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still got this issue a year later.  As usual the silence from Adobe is deafening!

Regards, aTomician

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that a font works fine in other apps says nothing about the font's quality. 

Illustrator is particularly particular about fonts and will usually be the first app to notice a bad font.

For individual problem solving the best way is to contact Customer Care and have them log in to your computer to check things out. https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Like Monika said, Illustrator from time to time may refuse to load fonts that are corrupt, poorly authored or just affected with software bugs. Fonts downloaded from free fonts web sites seems especially prone to technical problems. I've even seen issues with some fonts downloaded from the Google Fonts web site. In Google's case they'll often update the font files to address the bugs.

Font management applications and other graphics applications running in the background can affect the fonts list in Illustrator too. I've had issues with CorelDRAW and Illustrator running simultaneously; certain styles of some typefaces would disappear from the fonts menu in Illustrator. If I closed both applications and re-launched Illustrator on its own the missing fonts would be restored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines