• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gate Fold Brochure help

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm designing a single gate fold brochure. I'm having trouble figuring out how to set up the cover, which will have a full image spread.  My concern is the bleed of the image since the two flaps that will "meet up" are on the edge. How do I spread the image into the bleeds while still ensuring that the image will be perfectly aligned when the flaps are folded down in its finished product? 

Below is an example of the style of brochure I'm designing and my area of issue is the front cover where the flaps will fold to meet: 
gate-fold-compressed.jpg

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll want to bleed out the image on both panels, because once cut, it will line up when folded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to the good information above, Place the cover image so the center of the image aligns with the far left edge of the 4 outside panels. Pull the box closed so it ends at the trim line. Copy and paste in place, then add the width of the document to the horizontal offset of the image, which will put it on the far right edge of the document. Pull the box open to fill the right most panel and pull the box closed on the right side, leaving .125" bleed beyond the trim. Add bleed to the original box on the left side.

Personally, I would use InDesign for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. forget about the bleeds at first put a mask on your image
  2. move an exact duplicate to the other panel, use snapping/smart guides to ensure tiling is 100% correct
    Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 1.09.28 PM.png
  3. with direct select tool select the image and not the mask
  4. move the image the width of the panel
    Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 1.09.49 PM.png
  5. add bleeds at the end using direct select tool and cursor key set to your bleeds. 6 bleeds to add for these panels
    Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 1.13.46 PM.png

I like this method as even works complex packaging projects (eg: triangles) and I know my work goes out without error 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you all for the help. Much appreciated and all very helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines