• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Getting Error "Illustrator.exe - Entry Point Not Found" while opening Illustrator 2021 on Windows

Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys,

Could you please help me with the error occurred today with my Illustrator? When I open Illustrator the error window appears and it says:

"Illustrator.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point SetThreadDescription could not be located in the dynamic link library:

C:/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator 2021/Support Files/Contents/Windows/AIACPL.dll."

It happened right after the Illustrator updated today 😞

Thank you in advance.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Thank you for sharing the screenshots @michaelwigle@Candace5E71@RZhasan. I checked, and you all need to upgrade your Windows OS as Illustrator is not supported on the following versions:

After updating the Windows OS, perform the steps suggested on the CC Cleaner Tool help article, uninstall the Illustrator, and reinstall it from the Creative Cloud Desktop app.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2024 Feb 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This stuff starting to look like scams... because the same thing happened to me after an update. First if kept saying I did not have an original copy and it was a trial version when I had the 2015 adobe for years with no problem. Then it ran as if it was finally reading my license/serial number but loaded in without the presets. I reset the preferences and then started getting dynamic link error... I even tried to utilize my back up to revert it to before the update and it will not let me complete that process or do a reinstall keeps giving me an error as if it is being blocked Just so I can purchase the adobe cloud monthly subscription.... SAD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about the trouble. I would like to know if the steps suggested above by @sishamIAGD worked for you? If not, I would request you to share a few more details along like:

• OS and version of Illustrator
  • When did this start happening?
  • Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates, or web extensions installed recently.

Also, you may try the steps suggested in this community post (https://community.adobe.com/t5/download-install-discussions/illustrator-exe-entry-point-not-found/td...) and let us know how it goes.

We will be looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Yes, I've tried all of those steps, but they didn't work for me. Ive tried to get back to the previous version and it worked.

Illustrator has been updated today to 25.4.1 and immediately stopped working. The previous, 25.3.1 works.

Perhaps my OS is quite old, but I can't update with the PC I have now.

Thank you for your comments in any case!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that you had to roll back to the previous version. Please feel free to reach out if you run into any other questions or issues in the future, and we'd be happy to help. 

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What needs to happen is adobe needs to lissen to there users stop feture updates and build 64bit muilti core support and limited ram. make the program stable before the next update

its been 12 years not and still no 64bit multi core.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue as OP.

I am on Windows 10.

Followed everything I can find online but nothing is helping.

RZhasan_0-1630950175873.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey I was struggling all day with this, I just finnaly got something to work. I just removed the program, then installed the previous version. Not sure why, but it worked. Best of luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done the same and its working for me now.

I hope Adobe fixes this on their next release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive uninstalle 24.4.1 and reistalled previous twice to no avail. This issue occured after IT installe more ram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly the same problem  what to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see the post from Anshul_Saini below regarding supported versions of Windows 10 and Windows Server. Upgrading Windows is the only permanent solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, (@marinas33460189@RZhasan@default4n90x9r0b11r)

We are sorry for the trouble. This error occurs due to Windows OS, and it can be fixed. But I will need you all to share the screenshot of the Windows version, Build no., and error message you are getting so that we can look for the exact .dll file that is causing this. The .dll files are dynamic link libraries for the extensions to communicate with Illustrator. Some Windows builds will cause problems here because the extensions may not be compatible with that Windows Build.

To check your Windows version and build number, you may open the Run Dialog box by pressing Win+R, type "winver," and press enter.

We are here to help. We just need more information.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Anshul. Here is my windows version:

RZhasan_0-1631048207036.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing the Screenshot @RZhasan. Could you please also share the screenshot of the error? So, we can get the exact name of the ".dll" file causing the issue.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JebodiahAngusMcCoy_0-1631220485212.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @JebodiahAngusMcCoy,

Thank you for sharing the screenshot of the error. Could you please also share the screenshot of the Windows version and Build no. as asked above by me.

To check your Windows version and build number, you may open the Run Dialog box by pressing Win+R, type "winver," and press enter.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did provide it already in some previous comments but will post here again.  @Anshul_Saini 

RZhasan_0-1631226860392.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul,

I am having the same issue. Please please help! I have spent the past 3 days trying to sort this issue out and I still can't get fixed. Even when I try to unistall the latest version and then reinstall the older version it's still not working. The older version will open up and you think it will work but than it crashes when I try to open up any of my illustrator files. I have attached a screen shot of both my Windows version and the error message that I am getting.

Thanks in advance. I pateiently await your reply. 

Illustrator Error Message.jpgWindows Version.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running Illustrator on Server 2016 as a Remote Terminal Server and getting the same problem as everyone else even after a reinstall. Didn't do the Adobe Cleaner because if it's not guaranteed to work I don't want to remove every Adobe product for all of my Remote Users simultaneouly.

Adobe Illustrator Error.pngTS2K16 WinVer.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing the screenshots @michaelwigle@Candace5E71@RZhasan. I checked, and you all need to upgrade your Windows OS as Illustrator is not supported on the following versions:

After updating the Windows OS, perform the steps suggested on the CC Cleaner Tool help article, uninstall the Illustrator, and reinstall it from the Creative Cloud Desktop app.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't a solution though is it. Anyone using Windows Server 2016 can't update beyond 1607 without replacing their operating system. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, I'm going to be trying to do an in-place OS upgrade to server 2019 in order to support Illustrator with Terminal Services. We'll see how it goes. Definitely unfortunate that Server 2012 R2 support is being dropped, but I guess I get it. It is an almost 10 year old OS after all...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on a network license and I can't go beyond current version - the license is for build 13493 using Microsoft Windows 10 enterprise 20216 LTSB license.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines